Echo (Alexa) User Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights

Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:10 am »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor security floodlights that can be set up to Alexa or a way of doing this?

Thanks

Re: Is it possible to control outdoor security flood lights
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:19:12 am »
yes you can.  there are several ways of doing it using a smart switch or smart floodlight bulb.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:24 pm »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any outdoor security floodlights that can be set up to Alexa or a way of doing this?

Thanks

If you're technical you can run a server like Domoticz and set it up that way. But if you're looking for an out-of-the-box solution, for instance the ring security cameras work with alexa: https://blog.ring.com/2017/06/22/ring-video-doorbells-and-security-cameras-now-work-with-amazon-alexa-on-echo-show/
My Alexa stuff:
Echo Show, Echo Spot, 4 Echo Dots, Fire TV, Fire tablet,
Vobot Alarmclock, Logitech Harmony Hub, house full of Hue lights,
Ring 1+2 doorbells, Tado smart thermostat, Plex server.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:36:01 pm »
You might be over-thinking this. A security flood light is usually setup in one of two ways.
1. The light turns on at night and stays on all night. It turns itself off during the day.
-or-
2. The light turns on only when it senses motion near by.

So in these terms, why do you even need Alexa to control these security flood lights?

But I suppose you might want more control over the security flood lights and be able to turn them on/off at will.
For that, you could get something like a smart lightbulb socket. I did a search on Amazon and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Wifi-Bulb-Socket-Pack/dp/B07B9RP667
It's a pair of light bulb sockets that works with Alexa and Google Home for $34.99.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:27:42 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:37:26 am »
I have my flood lights setup on a GE smart switch. This allows me to set up a time for the to come on and off or just as I please via, voice, app, or switch. They stay off mostly. I have them setup to come on after 4:30pm till 7am, when my geo fence sees me or my wife coming home. Other than that they are off. For house light security so my house isn't completely dark I have my front porch lights on at night and a separate flood light with dusk to dawn sensor in my backyard on a separate dimmer switch. I leave the backyard one on low to just give enough light that someone could be seen by me, neighbors, and cameras but being on the dimmer I can set to full bright when I need the light for entertaining a such.