Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show says it can't find the DirecTV Genie

Brad Carr

Echo Show says it can't find the DirecTV Genie
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
I have followed the directions to the letter (choosing my provider and logging in, choosing the specific TV, linking the device) get the Echo Show to turn on the TV. I have three TVs and each one is identified by a Genie with a specific number. Alexa repeatedly says she can't "turn on the TV." I called Amazon support and they were less than helpful because they told me to call DirecTV which was also useless.

I have read earlier posts with people having a similar problem but they were using a third party device as the bridge between the Alexa app and their Echo, Show or Dot.

Very frustrating to say the least.

Re: Echo Show says it can't find the DirecTV Genie
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
did you install the directv skill

Kcellis19

Re: Echo Show says it can't find the DirecTV Genie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:22 pm »
I am having the exact same issue. My Echo Dot worked with my Directv for about 12 hours (changing the channels, recording and such) then all of a sudden Alexa would say “family room tv doesn’t support this”. I literally was on the phone with Amazon for over an hour disabling and enabling the skill, removing the echo dot from amazon account then redoing it. It literally got to the point where the woman I was talking to escalated it to the developers themselves because we literally exhausted every option. She also had me call directv to see if there might be a wireless connection issue to my genie in which that turned out to be working just fine. According to amazon directv skill ratings we’re not the only ones having this problem and there’s a ton of 1 star reviews complaining of connection issues 🤷🏻‍♀️