Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot says my calendar is connected but it's not

eppack

Echo Dot says my calendar is connected but it's not
« on: December 31, 2018, 02:04:44 pm »
Just got an Echo Dot 3rd gen for Christmas, loving it so far but trying to learn its quirks. I have a number of gmail accounts that I use for various purposes, but I chose to use the one I only use with Amazon, just in case I might ever want to buy something there later. So because my REAL calendar belongs to a different account, I added a test event to the Amazon acct gmail calendar. I then set up the calendar on the Echo to use that same gmail acct. The Alexa app recognized the account, at least it took me to the correct gmail interface where I was able to login uneventfully, and it said it was happy with it. However, after exiting gracefully, I asked Alexa what was on my calendar the next day and it said it had no calendar attached to it! I tried this multiple times just in case I'd missed a step, but it fails each time :(

Clearly I missed something. Can anyone set me straight?

TIA
elaine

buffaloquinn

Re: Echo Dot says my calendar is connected but it's not
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »
Double check all of the settings in the Alexa App. Go to the Email & Calendar section under Settings. Verify that not only the right account is listed but that it also is listed under "New Calendar Events."

eppack

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 04:13:53 pm »
When I go to the Email & Calendar setting in the Alexa app, I see 4 options, Google, Microsoft, Apple and Microsoft Exchange. I select Google then the plus sign. It comes up with a permission screen for email and calendar. Both are set ON.

I click on Connect Account, it brings up accounts.google.com in a sortof browser to choose an account. It shows the Amazon one first, then two others, both signed out.

Touched the amazon acct, brings up "Alexa wants to access your Google Account" with the usual perms, then I click on Allow. It goes back to the Alexa app home screen. No error messages or anything unusual anywhere.

Asking Alexa about an event continues to say it isn't connected to a calendar.

I do NOT see anything anywhere that mentions New Events. Ditto when I looked at the calendar in a browser. If that one is supposed to allow Alexa (as it does people), what email should it use? It's already using the correct account.

Hope this helps and makes sense :)

elaine

eppack

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »
I should note the Alexa app was updated on my phone 3 days ago, if that helps. It says nothing about all of this in the "what's new" dialog, just new skills, etc.

elaine

buffaloquinn

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:25:47 pm »
Okay. After you've added the Email/Calender account, go back to "EMAIL & CALENDAR". It shoud show the Email account you added and immediately underneath it should show Calendar and/or Email. If it only shows email than you didn't link the calendar. If you linked the calendar you should also have another thing under the account section "NEW CALENDAR EVENTS". This is where you tell Alexa where to add new events (which calendar).
If you don't find this stuff I can send you screenshots. I'm not sure how to do it on here, but I could email them to you.

eppack

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:36:09 pm »
It looks exactly the same as when I started :( Screen shots would be SUPER! But before we go any further, we should verify we have the same version of the app. Here's what I see under About:

client version:

App version:

My email is e p p . 7 t 1 . t e c h @ gmail (slightly "warped" to foil screen scrapers--I'm sure you can figger it out :)

Thanks!
Elaine

buffaloquinn

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 07:45:18 pm »
Don't be confused by the fact I use two different Email accounts for Calendar. I have several different applications (including Outlook & Jorte) that use the verizon.net account so I use that as my primary. It is linked to my Gmail account too. You can use Gmail for both.