Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Show (1st Gen.) Not Responding Properly

joelp3d

Echo Show (1st Gen.) Not Responding Properly
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:17 am »
I have had my 1st Gen Echo Show for a year-and-a-half and have never had any issues. The one thing I love about it is that it can pick up my voice even with music playing at level 8 or 9. It is very responsive.

Starting a few days ago, it stopped responding to my voice unless I lower the volume to 3 or 4 while playing music. As a matter of fact, if I'm playing music at a high level, I can speak directly into the top of the device (where the microphones are) and it will still not hear me. And when I say directly into the top, I mean that my mouth is literally one inch away from the microphones.

So now I am wondering if I have a faulty device or if this is just a bad update. I turned it off and rebooted as suggested. I even de-registered the device, registered it again and ran through the voice profile. Same issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I hope it's just a bad firmware update that will eventually be corrected.

In case this is important, here is my current device software version: 628538020

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Show (1st Gen.) Not Responding Properly
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:57 pm »
I have had my 1st Gen Echo Show for a year-and-a-half and have never had any issues. The one thing I love about it is that it can pick up my voice even with music playing at level 8 or 9. It is very responsive.

Starting a few days ago, it stopped responding to my voice unless I lower the volume to 3 or 4 while playing music. As a matter of fact, if I'm playing music at a high level, I can speak directly into the top of the device (where the microphones are) and it will still not hear me. And when I say directly into the top, I mean that my mouth is literally one inch away from the microphones.

So now I am wondering if I have a faulty device or if this is just a bad update. I turned it off and rebooted as suggested. I even de-registered the device, registered it again and ran through the voice profile. Same issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue. I hope it's just a bad firmware update that will eventually be corrected.

In case this is important, here is my current device software version: 628538020

I've had my Echos since the beginning, when they were by invitation only. Over the years I've noticed that Alexa can become hard of hearing if it hasn't been rebooted in several months. That is, pull the power plug and then plug it back in. It seems that Alexa needs a reboot every now and then. But when you think about it, Echo devices are just embedded computers. As such, computers need to be rebooted once in a while.

Laurel

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
I'll reboot mine. Thanks jwlv!  Mine are getting hard of hearing too.

joelp3d

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:24:08 pm »
I just wanted to give everyone an update on this. Rebooting did not help mine. It was very frustrating. And then I decided to purchase a can of compressed air. I sprayed all the microphone holes on the top. I honestly didn't think this would work. Well guess what? It did! Before, it couldn't hear me if the music was playing above level 4 or 5. Now she hears me perfectly even when playing at level 10.