Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Connecting Echo Dot to computer speakers

zagotta

Connecting Echo Dot to computer speakers
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:46:06 am »
How can I play music from my Echo Dot on my computer speakers (Windows 10)?  When I connect my Echo to my computer via bluetooth, I can use my Echo AS a computer speaker, but I want to do the opposite.  I want to use my computer speakers for the audio on my Echo.  When connected via bluetooth, I do not have the option of making the Echo the input device.  For computers, does the Echo bluetooth only receive the audio, but not send the audio?

If bluetooth doesn't work, could I plug the audio from the Echo into the "line in" on my audio card?

Phillip

Re: Connecting Echo Dot to computer speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 02:27:28 pm »
Hi. I may not have an answer and would like to pose a related question. When I plug my headphones into the rear of the Dot, I get stereo sound. So, I'm thinking of buying a good set of stereo computer speakers and doing the same. Then, in theory, my music should play in stereo from the computer speakers. Of course, this would imply that they're not being used as stereo computer speakers. (But that would be fine in my case.) Can anyone confirm that the Dot can be used with a set of computer speakers?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
Hi. I may not have an answer and would like to pose a related question. When I plug my headphones into the rear of the Dot, I get stereo sound. So, I'm thinking of buying a good set of stereo computer speakers and doing the same. Then, in theory, my music should play in stereo from the computer speakers. Of course, this would imply that they're not being used as stereo computer speakers. (But that would be fine in my case.) Can anyone confirm that the Dot can be used with a set of computer speakers?

not nice to hijack another thread with your own question  :-(

buffaloquinn

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:18:34 pm »
How can I play music from my Echo Dot on my computer speakers (Windows 10)?  When I connect my Echo to my computer via bluetooth, I can use my Echo AS a computer speaker, but I want to do the opposite.  I want to use my computer speakers for the audio on my Echo.  When connected via bluetooth, I do not have the option of making the Echo the input device.  For computers, does the Echo bluetooth only receive the audio, but not send the audio?

If bluetooth doesn't work, could I plug the audio from the Echo into the "line in" on my audio card?
Maybe I don't understand your question. You want to send music from your Echo Dot to your computer. Why don't you just use the Alexa app (Available for Win10) to play the music on your computer?

zagotta

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 05:17:05 pm »
Maybe I don't understand your question. You want to send music from your Echo Dot to your computer. Why don't you just use the Alexa app (Available for Win10) to play the music on your computer?

Oh my...that is a great answer!  Sorry to be so dense.  Thanks!

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:21:46 pm »
You may not be able to BT Echo audio into PC; check your PC manual.
Yes, you can plug Echo audio out into PC input.
Better yet, get a nice portable BT speaker and play from Echo anywhere in house, incl by the computer!

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:45:09 pm »
there are so many options to play music from the win10 pc including using cortana

buffaloquinn

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 10:54:21 am »
My Alexa App on PC (Win10) has no problem playing music with Alexa. And since I set up "MyMedia" to serve my personal music library through Alexa, it's my goto for music in the house.

zagotta

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:35 pm »
My Alexa App on PC (Win10) has no problem playing music with Alexa. And since I set up "MyMedia" to serve my personal music library through Alexa, it's my goto for music in the house.
The Alexa App didn't work for me.  It played the Alexa voice fine, but the music was all garbled (like it was being sung underwater).  Instead, I installed the Amazon Music app.  It worked perfectly!  Thanks for the suggestion.

buffaloquinn

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 01:39:10 pm »
The Alexa App didn't work for me.  It played the Alexa voice fine, but the music was all garbled (like it was being sung underwater).  Instead, I installed the Amazon Music app.  It worked perfectly!  Thanks for the suggestion.
Great! Glad you found a solution that works for you.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 02:30:56 pm »

My goto way to use Alexa to serve up my music is via audio out from a Dot plugged into my stereo. To play Amazon unlimited music I just ask the Dot:  Alexa play music by so and so.

To play my own digitized music stored on my WD My Cloud NAS, I have Plex media server running on the NAS and can play my music by saying:  Alexa, ask Plex to play music by so and so.