Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo won't shut up!

MaryLou

Echo won't shut up!
« on: December 28, 2018, 07:36:52 pm »
I got my new Echo (3rd Gen) today and activated it.  Love the sound but... it wants to read what various videos are saying and makes a noise when I'm playing games.  It makes a click when I do.  I didn't change any of my settings that I had for my old Echo so I don't understand why it's doing that.  How can I get it to stop.  If I'm playing a game that has music, it plays the music.  It is driving me crazy!!  I finally told it to go to sleep.  That worked. 

Am grateful for any help. 

buffaloquinn

Re: Echo won't shut up!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »
Did you go into settings & check or did you just assume it would automatically take your old settings?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 08:14:00 pm »
Your phone's bluetooth is still connected to your Echo. Disconnect it and you won't hear those sounds any more until you reconnect the bluetooth.

MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:58 pm »
I didn't do anything but plug it in and download the Alexa App.  You folks gave me an idea what the problem is though.  I'm not a big Echo user - use it mostly to set timers and control lights.  I wasn't very clear about it not shutting up.

I don't use my phone for anything but a grocery list - I play games and read news on my computer, not the phone.  But i THINK i may have paired the phone with the bluetooth on my desktop, not knowing what it would do.  It came up and I just followed the screem prompts.  I bet that's what's happening, it's connecting to my desktop via the bluetooth.

Not sure how to disable that but I'll look around and see if I can figure it out. 

Thank you much for the help!!

MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:46:07 pm »
That was the problem.  On my computer, I looked at the devices associated with Bluetooth and sure enough, under Audio was the Echo Dot. I removed it and now things are back to normal.

Again, thank you so much for the help.  I would never have thought to look at the Bluetooth settings otherwise.

Happy New Year!

DLorenzosEcho

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 12:36:18 am »
Hi!  just to tack on and agree that your phone's Bluetooth is ON and your Echo is connected.  you will need to turn it off.  FYI you will need to monitor this and turn it off when this scenario comes up again.  In my experience with my ECHOs and DOTs they seem to "auto" pair when I/my phone come into the room. 

Hope this helps!