Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo - Device is Unresponsive

DLorenzosEcho

Echo - Device is Unresponsive
« on: December 28, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »
Seeking some help - I am currently running Echo Plus, Echo Dot x3 and x10 bulbs (4 Philips + 6 Sengled).  Recently within last week after adding an additional 2 Sengled bulbs, I am running into getting the constant and daily message of Device is Unresponsive on the Alexa App. This renders the bulbs unresponsive by both voice command AND by APP touch command. 

So I tried troubleshooting for resolution.  I removed all unnecessary items from my 5ghz signal; placing the 3 DOTs on the house 2.4ghz signal.  The attempt was to clear up any signal clutter within the 5ghz signal to allow for better flow of signal.  Result: eh... it might be better, but it didn't resolve.  still getting Device Unresponsive message.

So question: I have a Sengled HUB that I am not currently using.  Would it be better to run the Sengled bulbs from the Echo Plus’ HUB? OR to go ahead and set up the Sengled HUB that am currently not using? OR a possible better add on question: would a good HUB help to better streamline the signals and possible resolve the Device Unresponsive error?

Does running these bulbs via the Echo Plus HUB mean that for each ONE bulb there is ONE wifi interaction back to the Hub? (in essence creating multiple opportunities for wifi interference?) VS running these bulbs via a HUB? ONE wifi interaction (regardless of how many bulbs are connected to the HUB?) When researching my Echo Plus purchase, I was told the amount of Bulbs connected to the Echo Plus was irrelevant as the Hub in the Echo Plus would only create ONE wifi interaction point. 

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thank you!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:31:12 pm by DLorenzosEcho »

Re: Echo - Device is Unresponsive
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:02:34 pm »
clarification - are you having problems with all of the sengled bulbs or just the two new ones?   it would not hurt to give the sengled hub a try.  It will help determine where the problem is though I would temporary unplug the plus for the test.   

DLorenzosEcho

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
Hi Renegade600 - Appreciate your input and reply.  This has happened prior to adding the most recent of the Sengled bulbs.  It doesn't seem to be specific to any one set of them. Actually happens with the Philips bulbs I have in my Dining light also.  Since it's happening across bulb brands, I'm more leaning toward a possible interference issue?   

I will give the Sengled HUB a try as part of troubleshooting. Can you help me to clarify/confirm: by using a HUB, does this create a single transaction point (regardless of how many bulbs are connected to the HUB?)  OR does connecting bulbs WITHOUT hub creating each individual transaction points (and possibly creating more traffic on the wifi signal in the house?) 

lastly... I know there's a variety of HUBs out there.  You have any experiences with one or one(s) that you lean toward?  I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks for the input!  REALLY appreciate it! 

-d

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:15:24 pm »
there have been reports there are issue with the cloud because of the holiday season and users getting echos for christmas  if it is all of your bulbs then wait a day or so and see if it fixes itself.    I have similar issues on and off since thanksgiving when all the sales started.  since I also have a google home I was able to see that it was amazon that was having the problems and not my setup.  I waited and it usually fixed itself over night or while I was at work.     

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/amazons-smart-assistant-alexa-crashes-at-christmas/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/philips-hue-lights-outages-holidays-2018/

buffaloquinn

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 08:10:11 pm »
Getting back to your original post. You talked about cleaning up your 5 ghz signal. It is my understanding that smart home devices ONLY use the 2.4ghz channel. If you have the capability in your router/wifi setup you might want to try to setup a different SSID of 2.4ghz dedicated to Echo devices and smarthome devices. It might help isolate wifi issues also.

DLorenzosEcho

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:56 pm »
Thanks for your response buffaloquinn!  Appreciate your input.  re: Echo devices only working on 2.4.  I didn't now that.  I have been an Echo user for some time and just recently as part of this post and as part of troubleshooting this issue is when I went back to my router and turned on my 2.4 ghz signal. I previously had everything on the 5ghz. I've always used and have had no problems with any of my Echo devices connecting to the 5ghz signal.   I'll keep that in mind if I run into any problems.

Cheers!

buffaloquinn

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
I think Echo devices will work on both, but all of my smart devices say 2.4ghz so it makes sense that the Echo devices would use that channel to communicate with them.