Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Have a recent bug and don't know how to fix it

ceponatia

Have a recent bug and don't know how to fix it
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:13:25 am »
Hi everyone,

Have had absolutely no trouble with my Echo except for one slightly annoying error. I have smart lights and normally when I say "Alexa turn off bedroom" it shuts my bedroom lights off. For the past few days, though, when I say "Alexa turn off bedroom" it responds with "did you mean bedroom?" and I have to say "yes". How do I get the Echo to understand that I'm saying the exact same word it is? lol. Should I maybe delete the room and re-add it? Will this just eventually happen again?

Re: Have a recent bug and don't know how to fix it
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:37:22 am »
check your history and see what it is hearing.  do you have any other names with bedroom in it?  if it just started, I would give it a day or so to see if it stops by itself. 

buffaloquinn

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:55:55 pm »
I have the same thiing happen every once in a while. It usually corrects itself. It often seems to be linked to an update or system wide issue with Alexa online.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:38:26 pm »
I have the same thiing happen every once in a while. It usually corrects itself. It often seems to be linked to an update or system wide issue with Alexa online.

don't know about you but its been happening to me more and more recently.  don't know if it is from the holiday surged or not.  and I am counting from the week before black friday. 

ceponatia

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 07:42:35 am »
check your history and see what it is hearing.  do you have any other names with bedroom in it?  if it just started, I would give it a day or so to see if it stops by itself.

The history says it's hearing "unknown" which must be where the glitch is. I've tried saying "bedroom" in several tones and speeds. It'd honestly be pretty funny to see, I'm sure! I will wait a bit to see if it corrects itself, if not I'll rename the light to something else.

FarmerBob

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:07:38 pm »
"Voice Profiles" make a big difference . . . although only when the servers are available to utilize them.

ceponatia

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:30:28 am »
Several days later and it's still not fixed so I renamed the light from "bedroom" to just "light" for now and it's working. Will try renaming it back to bedroom again later to see if it works now.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:21:39 am »
Several days later and it's still not fixed so I renamed the light from "bedroom" to just "light" for now and it's working. Will try renaming it back to bedroom again later to see if it works now.

You CAN't name a bulb and a room by the same name. If you have a Room named Bedroom, your lights must be named something else. Like Left and right and north, south, east, west etc... but that will cause the issue you are trying to figure out. This happened to me and I spent enormous amounts of time working out the issue and all at the same time I started getting free "scenes" lists and a bunch of other crap due to an update that wasn't explained before the problems started... Sometimes Hue can be a frustrating complex Pain... but once you grasp what the AI is capable of deciphering, it starts to make sense that it cannot do some things that we would all work out in our human minds... it has a harder time working out these things due to it's educational and familiarity with human ways and sometimes very local ways...

Name the room something else. Or name the light something else. It's that simple.

I had 2 bulbs. One was named Ruby'e Light, the other Steve's Light. They worked fine until an update added a whole bunch of scenes that the white/ambient bulbs could "do" yet my bulbs were the plain white 15 dollar bulbs. It updated the Bridge, not my bulbs. Then, I bought and placed Echo Dot in each room,Named the Dots and bulbs by room Ruby's Room and Steve's Room. That's when All hell broke loose. Then I spent 4 days fighting these things out and found the issue was in my naming of times, rooms, bulbs. All need completely different names to avoid conflicts in the AI.

Let's put it this way... It's all kind of like saying "Alexa, turn on Alexa" when the two items and rooms are the same.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

buffaloquinn

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:46 pm »

You CAN't name a bulb and a room by the same name. If you have a Room named Bedroom, your lights must be named something else. Like Left and right and north, south, east, west etc... but that will cause the issue you are trying to figure out. This happened to me and I spent enormous amounts of time working out the issue and all at the same time I started getting free "scenes" lists and a bunch of other crap due to an update that wasn't explained before the problems started... Sometimes Hue can be a frustrating complex Pain... but once you grasp what the AI is capable of deciphering, it starts to make sense that it cannot do some things that we would all work out in our human minds... it has a harder time working out these things due to it's educational and familiarity with human ways and sometimes very local ways...

Name the room something else. Or name the light something else. It's that simple.

I had 2 bulbs. One was named Ruby'e Light, the other Steve's Light. They worked fine until an update added a whole bunch of scenes that the white/ambient bulbs could "do" yet my bulbs were the plain white 15 dollar bulbs. It updated the Bridge, not my bulbs. Then, I bought and placed Echo Dot in each room,Named the Dots and bulbs by room Ruby's Room and Steve's Room. That's when All hell broke loose. Then I spent 4 days fighting these things out and found the issue was in my naming of times, rooms, bulbs. All need completely different names to avoid conflicts in the AI.

Let's put it this way... It's all kind of like saying "Alexa, turn on Alexa" when the two items and rooms are the same.
Let me qualify what has been stated as absolute. Yes, you can name items the same, it's just a very bad idea. Sometimes it can be useful, but more often than not, it only confuses Alexa. If you have a Room called Bedroom & a light called Bedroom Light, then if you say, "Alexa, turn off bedroom light", and Alexa doesn't catch "light", then it will either ask you to repeat, turn off everything in Bedroom Group, or sometimes say "Okay" and just do nothing.
On the other hand sometimes it's helpful. I have a ceiling fan/light fixture in my dining room. It has four bulbs. I have created a group for the bulbs called Dining Room. So if I say "Alexa, turn Dining Room off" it turns off all four bulbs. Each individual bulb has a different name so I can adjust my lighting according to my needs. Two are color bulbs & two are straight white. It offers me many possibilities. Yes, I could have named the group something else, but Dining Room is the most logical & easiest to remember for my wife. And as I don't forsee adding anything else in the dining room that would need to be controlled by Alexa, I don't anticipated any issues.