Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Multiroom - speaker issue

Jackstrap

Multiroom - speaker issue
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:23:58 am »
I am having an issue connecting one of my alexa devices to a speaker when I am using the multiroom function.

Both my devices work fine when I play on multiroom without speakers and I don't have any issues with one of the devices playing on a speaker. But the music cuts out on the other device as soon as I connect it to a speaker. The music stops playing for a while, then comes back on just the device itself and the speaker is no longer connected.

I have tried using the same speaker on both devices (works on one but not the other) and connecting via bluetooth and aux as well as both spotify and amazon music.

Any ideas on to fix it? It seems like an issue with the device itself but all amazon support suggest is rebooting device which does not help.

mindmagic

Re: Multiroom - speaker issue
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:50:35 am »
I had this problem with a 1st gen Echo but not with a 2nd gen dot. I concluded that the Echo hadn't received the software update needed for this to work (it's only recently that it's worked at all).

Jackstrap

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:04 am »
That's interesting as it's my echo (2nd gen) that isn't working but my dot (2nd gen) is fine.

Do you mind me asking what software version you have on your devices? I've noticed my devices are different. Is this to be expected? How do I force an update if needed?

Echo - 628538220
Dot - 628538320

mindmagic

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 04:32:14 am »
I'm not sure these numbers mean much. My 1st gen Echo is 4620, 2nd gen ones 8120 and my 2nd gen Dot is 8320. You can't force updates on these, but on 3rd gen devices you can ask Alexa if her software is up to date.

I've given up on having my 2nd gen Dot and Echo in multiroom; whatever I do one of them is unreachable now.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:16:36 am »
According to Amazon, the way to force an update is to press the Mic button on the Echo to mute the microphone so that the Echo thinks nobody's around. After about 30 minutes of idling in silence, the Echo will phone home to check for updates.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 06:32:09 am »
According to Amazon, the way to force an update is to press the Mic button on the Echo to mute the microphone so that the Echo thinks nobody's around. After about 30 minutes of idling in silence, the Echo will phone home to check for updates.

I don't think this works in the UK; it's never worked for me. What is working now, on all devices, even the old ones, is "alexa check for software update".