Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Minimum OS required to run alexa

Mavryc

Minimum OS required to run alexa
« on: December 22, 2018, 11:45:08 am »
Hi. I'm new to echo.  I have a galaxy note have down loaded alexa app but it does not work .my thought is that the OS might not be compatible. Kitkat  would be thankful for any comments
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:49:59 am by Mavryc »

AlanH

Re: Minimum OS required to run alexa
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:10:53 pm »
“Android 5 or higher”
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201602060
Can’t comment as I’m on iOS.

Mavryc

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:24:17 pm »
Thanks for reply answered my question

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 12:35:19 pm »
I have Oreo and it works great.  Sorry that you have to have the latest os to use the app.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
it should have said something about not being compatible with your device on the download page.  I always look for it before downloading and installing an app from either the amazon or play store. 

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 07:19:13 am »
Although a device may not run the Alexa app you can always use the web interface to access most settings.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:02:54 am »
Although a device may not run the Alexa app you can always use the web interface to access most settings.

The problem is Setting up without the app... I suppose the operation of it could easily be handled through the web maybe even on a Smart phone as well. Hadnt thought about that. I may have to give it a go.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 11:27:48 am »

The problem is Setting up without the app... I suppose the operation of it could easily be handled through the web maybe even on a Smart phone as well. Hadnt thought about that. I may have to give it a go.
initially I never used the app it was only after others seeing options that I did not that I download the app. Of course that may have changed now that Alexa devices are available in more countries and the apps have evolved.

Another option is trying a site like apkpure which allows you to download and install older releases of different aps.