Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Apps like Yelp

mst3k0

Apps like Yelp
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:50 am »
I really wish Echo supported things like Yelp, so I could ask for restaurant recommendations.  Will the Echo be getting apps? 

mst3k0

Re: Apps like Yelp
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:15 am »
IMDB questions about movies and tv shows would be awesome.  Like, "When does Walking Dead air?"  "Is my favorite show renewed?"  things like that to me would be awesome.  "When does "Name a film"  come out.  Buy movie tix online.  Possible??

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:11:10 am by mst3k0 »

BeesKnees

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
Apps are coming but don't expect any from third party developers until the general release.  Amazon owns IMDB so I would expect they would develop a tie-in to there and Audible.

ScarlettPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:55:42 am »
I really wish Echo supported things like Yelp, so I could ask for restaurant recommendations.  Will the Echo be getting apps?

To me, that sort of sounds redundant. To ask Alexa about a third party app is like a 4th party app??  Why not just go to the Yelp app and look there. Besides, Yelp is portable-Echo is not. If I was looking for restaurant recommendations, I'd go directly to Yelp-waaaaaay to many factors for Alexa to consider at this time. What cuisine, distance, price, etc...

BeesKnees

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 07:33:42 pm »
While I don't think Yelp would be that useful on the Echo, companies like Yelp write their own apps.  When the developer program comes out of beta if they want to write one they will.

yulia1199

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 09:23:22 am »
That company wrote how much does it cost to make app like Yelp - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-an-app-like-yelp ;)

oliverfischer

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:08:39 am »
Development of an app like Yelp implies 6 main functionalities:

• Reviews
Writing and checking user reviews.
• Search nearby
With GPS on a mobile device, you can open the app and browse venues and services in your area.
• Directions
Geolocation tool to navigate users towards places of interest.
• Menus
A great extra feature to view today’s menu of a restaurant or a cafe.
• Photos
To view images of places or services, and leave images along with user reviews.
• Check-ins
Real-time mapping and posting to social media accounts about the venue you are at right now.

To make an app like Yelp, you would have to build user module, communication module elements, social integration, etc.

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:47 am »
I just said Alexa, When does Walking Dead air? And she gave me a mouthful. Then realized this is a 3 yr old thread. Very well then, Amazon delivers. But NOT on my alexa colorloop scene YET. Bulb is STILL glitching! Helloooooo?