Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is there a limit on the number of Alexa routines that can be created?

I am new to Echo and the forum. I am setting up some automation and, to keep it user-friendly, I am creating routines to do some of the tasks. For example, I set up relays to open and close the driveway gate and garage door. Alexa sees the relays as plugs so I have to say 'Alexa, turn on the gate' to open or close the gate. I'd rather use more natural commands like "Alexa, open the gate' and 'Alexa, close the gate'. Ditto for the garage door. Since the relays are momentary switches, both the open and close commands are the same.

The reason for my question -- I already have about 30 routines defined. If there is a limit on the number allowed, I'd change the open and close commands to use the same command. I don't want to develop a habit using the two different commands if I'm going to have to change it later.

Thanks for reading.

buffaloquinn

Re: Is there a limit on the number of Alexa routines that can be created?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:12:34 pm »
I have not heard of any limits on the number of routines. Personally, I would be inclined to pick a neutral command liken "Alexa, activate the gate" or "Alexa, garage door please".

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:40:15 am »
as far as I know there are no limits. however, there is such thing as confusing alexa :-)  sometimes it is better to use the actual commands instead of trying to make things more natural. 

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:01 pm »
The only limits I have found on qauantity of anything in my Smart home, is limitations on how many bulbs on a bridge (Hue) and how many accessories and scenes the bridge can accommodate. The bridges have almost zero space available on them... at least for now.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!