Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

DOT3 - making 'wake' button cordless, avoiding 'wake' word (tedious / gawky?)

JARVIS

Hi - I really dont like having to continually wake device by endlessly repeating a 'wake' word

Anyone come up with an easy way to make the 'wake' button, cordless? - I know there is a large voice remote, however I would much prefer a compact Amazon Dash button type solution

This way, assuming there is a minimised 'wake' delay when button is triggered (compared with slightly annoying voice command delay) you can virtually chat, in a much more relaxed style to Alexa, appearing to seamlessly link inquiries into a 'conversation' - be more impressive to friends with little Alexa experience.

I imagine the control is part of the main PCB so not easily physically hacked, however there must be a s/w solution? - failing anything simple, then I could simply mount an r/c nano servo over button, such that the arm sweep gives one cycle per remote button press (electrically bridging the terminals would be more satisfying and neat

I also wish to make it portable by adding a rechargeable base - I contacted the main manuf and they dont have a 3rd gen in development.

Any ideas / lateral thinking? - I am a nuts and bolts man, not a coder - so keep it simple  ;)

Echo Wand, FLIC Smart button, Dash Button..?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:18:42 am by JARVIS »

the command sentences are not set in stone, as long as you keep the major command words, you can make it more casual - within reason.   the rest of your question cannot be done at this time as far as I know.   maybe keep an eye out for different third party echo devices that may have what you want.

JARVIS

thx   not so much sub command words i would have an issue with - it is the repeated wake up prompt, when for me, a keyfob would be a more eloquent solution

thx   not so much sub command words i would have an issue with - it is the repeated wake up prompt, when for me, a keyfob would be a more eloquent solution

well, don't you say a persons name if you want them to do something for you?  it is the same thing or do you have issues saying a persons name too?

a couple of things could help, set up routines for when you turn on/off multiple things at the same time.  for example I have a routine that turns off tv and several lights when I leave the house.  All the lights may not be on but sometimes they are and a command to turn something off when its not on don't hurt anything.  Also make sure followup mode is turned on. 

JARVIS

..thats just the point, you do not continually use someones name after first opening up a dialogue - I dont expect to be forgotten every few seconds!

I have now worked out how to get Spot to listen whenever I want, using less than £10 of equipment and a keyfob remote controlling all 4 buttons - as to it being better than Voice remote (assuming it works with Dot 3)....I dont know - its just, well, a lot more discreet.

A mk3 Dash Wand option with smaller rechargeable power, barcode reader delete and most of Dots power would be nice :)

BOZ

You said "I have now worked out how to get Spot to listen whenever I want, using less than £10 of equipment and a keyfob remote controlling all 4 buttons - as to it being better than Voice remote (assuming it works with Dot 3)....I dont know - its just, well, a lot more discreet."

I ended up using a bluetooth keyboard solution at first but it was cumbersome, then I moved to the voice remote which works well on the dot 3, but is still a little larger and overkill for my goals.

Would you mind sharing your solution, even if it did or did not work out.

Thanks in advance for any info

BOZ

asianrocker

You obviously have not heard of follow up mode.

It works good for me but hopefully we can able to set how long Alexa wait for next command/question coz 15 sec is too short I feel like I have to rush every time for my next command.

Also if I use routine which I always set with say command the follow-up mode doesn't work.

Hopefully they can improve it. Then you don't have to hack it that way, OP.

You are making it hard for yourself.