Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Turn your RPi into an Amazon Echo

« on: March 29, 2016, 03:20:34 am »
OK tech geeks, just for you, here is a post today placed in a hidden, non-public forum (of which I am a member) at the WD User Forum:

If you want to turn your RPi into a Amazon Echo, Amazon has posted detailed instructions on Github: https://github.com/amzn/alexa-avs-raspberry-pi1

This works with the RPi2 and RPi3, but can be made to work with the RPi1 as well.

The only issue with this is that it doesn't use a trigger word, it requires a button press to trigger the listening service.

------------------------------------------------

I plan to get a RPi3 soon, but I will transform it into a hi-tech media player (I hope). So, this project is not for me, but may be for someone else here.

I did find it somewhat interesting to go through the steps and illustrations briefly; just to get an idea of how the innards of the Echo work.

Re: Turn your RPi into an Amazon Echo
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:07:29 am »
That's a fun little project I've been contemplating trying out on one of the several RPis I have sitting around ever since was made public several days ago:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/25/11307066/amazon-alexa-echo-speaker-diy-guide-raspberry-pi

Although the result is not really the functional equivalent of an Echo, using a small, cheap platform like the Pi to interact with the Alexa Service has some real potential for useful home-rolled applications.

Re: Turn your RPi into an Amazon Echo
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 04:06:20 pm »
These instructions appear to be the same link I posted, but by another person.  At my link, you can click on poster's name AMZN, and see a list of all the Amazon posted projects.