Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

free spot

free spot
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:26:30 pm »
was just at best buy looking at security cameras.  look like they got a good deal if you buy a canary all in one security camera - a free spot.  so I guess if you are looking for a security camera, the canary might be a good deal  :-)

Offline jwlv

Re: free spot
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:03:09 am »
The Canary camera usually sells for about $80-$100. Best Buy's current price is $150. But if you include the Spot, then the package deal is worth over $200.

So yea, it's a good deal if you are also in the market for an Echo Spot.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:07:57 pm by jwlv »

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:55:11 am »
I got a Free one with a Ring Doorbell package a few months ago. Ring Doorbell is over 200 for the Ring Pro... paid $201 for the package with a Spot... pretty cool gadget, this Spot. I don't even do much with it, but can if I want. I can watch my from door with it (and 4 Fire Tablets as well as my iPhones)... I like the Clock and camera functions of the Spot even without the doorbell. Got the doorbell to appease the old people (in-laws), as they kept talking about the guy at church "has a door bell camera, and doesn't;t even have to open the door to see who's there..." I took it as a suggestion they were feeling vulnerable... So now I just get to hear them bitching about me and my wife as they come and go from the house all the time... Ingrates... I didn't;t buy it to spy on them (which is not their bitchin'), I bought for them to be able to answer the door without opening it... the spying is just a value added option I don't use much. But My wife does! she checks every time the door alert hits... and it pisses her off near daily... I may have to remove it completely to stop all her anger...

I digress...

The Spot is a neat little item. I like it and recommend it. Don;t know anything about the Canary cam though.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
The Canary camera usually sells for about $80-$100. Best Buy's current price is $150. But if you include the Spot, then the package deal is worth over $200.

So yea, it's a good deal if you are also in the market for an Echo Spot. But the

Yea, I did not look up the current price of the canary.  walmart still shows them at 139-169.  amazon show it to be 99  :-)    I remember not too long ago they were 199.  Newer model must be about ready to be released  :-)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 08:29:15 pm »
Although Canary is a pretty cool product, what I hate about it is the fact that you have to pay a monthly service fee. There is a free option, but that's almost useless. Ring doorbell is the same. The free service is pretty useless. I know that from the company's point of view, it is on-going income for the company and its investors. But for the consumer it's an added cost that never ends. Canary, Ring, and other manufacturers can very easily store recorded videos and other data on a memory card that costs almost nothing. Amazon currently sells the Samsung EVO 32GB microSD card for only $6.99 (link below if you're interested). But instead, these companies promote "cloud" access as if it's a good thing, but do not mention that it costs an additional $10/month. While it's nice to have a backup in the cloud, it would be just as reasonable for a consumer to use their own storage device, such as a memory card, NAS hard disk, their own FTP server, email storage, etc. And none of these other options have never-ending fees. But alas, Canary and Ring do not have these options. It's either pay them or nothing else.

Here's the link to the Samsung EVO 32GB microSD for $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWN9Q99/

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 01:21:33 pm »
Although Canary is a pretty cool product, what I hate about it is the fact that you have to pay a monthly service fee. There is a free option, but that's almost useless. Ring doorbell is the same. The free service is pretty useless. I know that from the company's point of view, it is on-going income for the company and its investors. But for the consumer it's an added cost that never ends. Canary, Ring, and other manufacturers can very easily store recorded videos and other data on a memory card that costs almost nothing. Amazon currently sells the Samsung EVO 32GB microSD card for only $6.99 (link below if you're interested). But instead, these companies promote "cloud" access as if it's a good thing, but do not mention that it costs an additional $10/month. While it's nice to have a backup in the cloud, it would be just as reasonable for a consumer to use their own storage device, such as a memory card, NAS hard disk, their own FTP server, email storage, etc. And none of these other options have never-ending fees. But alas, Canary and Ring do not have these options. It's either pay them or nothing else.

Here's the link to the Samsung EVO 32GB microSD for $6.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWN9Q99/

only problem with the sdcard feature is if the house get broken into and the camera gets stolen.  I have been seeing security cameras stolen more and more in the police reports section of the local paper.    It is getting ridicules with all the different subscriptions to use cloud service.  I wish canary, amazon, nest and the others would let you choose a cloud service.   

Jerome

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 05:53:33 am »
I have 2 WyzeCams (indoor) and they are absolutely great in term of price ($25 !) and features (free cloud-based 12-second snippets with the possibility of a SD card, 1080p, motion/sound detection, etc...).
If you're ok with wired cams then it's an amazing product  8)

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:13:41 am »
I pay 30 per year for my Ring Doorbell Cloud service... Pretty cheap for a pretty unlimited storage option. I only keep the cool stuff, like when the in-laws stand at the door bitching about stuff my wife and I "make them do"... which is complete Bull... but I save it in case I need to tell them to shove off and why they are ingrates... Don't wan't them having a reason to doubt my knowledge of their thoughts and actions... while they live in my home. They spent themselves into financial woes, not me... so they live with us because none of their other 3 kids would put up with them... Sometimes you need to remind people why they are where they are... Cloud service will help... LOL
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!