Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Can I use the app on my Android phone to turn off what's playing on an Echo?

adgorn

Especially, remotely when I am not home.  Not seeing anywhere if I can do this.  Thanks.

Laurel

Yes your app will do that.

adgorn

How exactly?

Laurel

I am not great with my descriptions but here goes.  Go to your Alexa App, at the bottom of your phone screen there are 5 symbols.  Select the one to the right of the middle Alexa symbol. It looks like stacked library books.  You will go to the screen that has a heading of the location of your device and you need to touch the down arrow to choose the room where the music is playing. Then you will see a screen showing you what is currently playing.  Push the stop button for the music playing. Then exit your app.  That is how I do it.  Hope that helps.  Sorry for the non technical language lol.

adgorn

"Stop" meaning the || Pause button?  That does stop the music, so that's good.  It seems there should be a real delete button.  Thank you very much.

Laurel

Yes I meant pause button. lol   Glad it worked. I just tried something else and so far it worked.  I turned on Alexa in the room where I am at the computer and verbally asked for music.   I just opened my phone app and pushed the Alexa button and said "Alexa off" and she turned off the music in the room that I am in.  I see that that music request is stored on screen on the app so it is easy to turn on and off again on the app. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:40:39 am by Laurel »

adgorn

I tried your "say off via the app" technique but didn't work.  I wonder if your Echo actually heard your command, not app on phone?   

Alternatively, I was able to start new music on a speaker via the app. Pick your music, pick your device - viola!  As you pointed out, it's good they have the little volume indicator to show what's playing. It just seems the path to do these things is a bit unclear.

Laurel

Duh! lol Yes you are correct.  I just walked to another room and tried the Alexa button on the app and saying "Alexa off", and it didn't work.  Sorry about that.