Echo (Alexa) User Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?

ks111989

Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?
« on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:20 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a smart device for my family's lounge/study on the second floor. I currently have a Lenovo Smart Display in my kitchen and the additional screen has been great for recipe help, making reservations and controlling my home security feeds/lights. The screen is definitely an advantage but i'm not sure if I should get another LSD or just a Google Home/Google Home Mini for the second floor. Any advice?

Re: Lenovo Smart Display vs Google Home/Mini?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
If you're considering a 2nd display, wait.  Google will be coming out with their own smart display (vs a 3rd party like Lenovo or JBL) for the Christmas season.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in one but if I was, I'd definitely wait for Google's own display.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 05:52:14 am »
think how you plan to use the upstairs one.  do you need the screen or not.  It really is your call.    If you decide on a screen, as previously mention, google is coming out with one.   you might want to wait.   You could go ahead and get the mini and if you decided you want a screen later, it is no loss, you can always place the mini in another location. 

https://gizmodo.com/google-may-finally-make-its-own-smart-speaker-with-a-sc-1828414631

ks111989

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 03:28:11 am »
If you're considering a 2nd display, wait.  Google will be coming out with their own smart display (vs a 3rd party like Lenovo or JBL) for the Christmas season.  I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in one but if I was, I'd definitely wait for Google's own display.

I wonder how different it'll be from the LSD. I've been quite impressed with the LSD so far especially since I get both audio and visual features. That said, I'll be looking forward to Google's to see if it matches up!

Offline Jerome

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:47:32 am »
Google Home Hub
Please note there is no camera (when the Echo Show does have one) but the Hub is cheaper ($150)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-home-hub-specs-roundup/
1 Echo (1st gen) - 2 Echo Dots (2nd gen) - 1 Google Home Mini | in France

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
Google Home Hub
Please note there is no camera (when the Echo Show does have one) but the Hub is cheaper ($150)
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/google-home-hub-specs-roundup/

not sure if this was a good or bad decision.  maybe a camera will be in the next generation.

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 10:24:21 pm »
I bought the GHH a week ago.  I didn't think I'd be interested in it but I like it!  The fact that it doesn't have a camera is a bonus (for me).  I didn't care about a camera (my satellite internet has too much latency) and the price reflects the no camera option.  I got mine from Lowes last Thurs for $99.  They price matched Home Depot's flash sale of $99 last week.  It's small but perfect size for a bedside clock/AI.  And it plays full screen You Tube videos :)