Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo spot - Night Mode vs. Do Not Disturb

Pitosalas

Echo spot - Night Mode vs. Do Not Disturb
« on: July 26, 2018, 06:52:50 am »
Can anyone explain the difference? They both have a schedule and both claim to dim the screen

Re: Echo spot - Night Mode vs. Do Not Disturb
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:47:16 am »
If I understand it right (and I just got mine last week, so bare with me)... Night mode is all about the lighting... it goes to simple mode clock and lowers the brightness... which you can choose as well. Mine stops displaying any extras shown during the day at that time as well... Your mileage may vary...

Do Not disturb Mode does the dimming and goes simple... but also stops incoming drop ins and any other notifications that you may have set up in your control panel. Basically shutting down any Disturbances that could occur during a normal unlimited day... It works similar to a phone where you can set the DND to stop incoming calls after your bed time. You can set who can call you anyway (regardless of the DND setting) as well on my phone but I don't know about the Spot yet... haven't had time to go that distance with settings...

This should get you a basic understanding of it anyway...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

NikkiRoxi

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 01:05:00 pm »
If I understand it right (and I just got mine last week, so bare with me)... Night mode is all about the lighting... it goes to simple mode clock and lowers the brightness... which you can choose as well. Mine stops displaying any extras shown during the day at that time as well... Your mileage may vary...

Do Not disturb Mode does the dimming and goes simple... but also stops incoming drop ins and any other notifications that you may have set up in your control panel. Basically shutting down any Disturbances that could occur during a normal unlimited day... It works similar to a phone where you can set the DND to stop incoming calls after your bed time. You can set who can call you anyway (regardless of the DND setting) as well on my phone but I don't know about the Spot yet... haven't had time to go that distance with settings...

This should get you a basic understanding of it anyway...

You explained it well enough that I understand and it sounds correct.

Pitosalas

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:04:47 am »
Thanks, I think I understand but it’s a very confusing design.

But, according to the spot, it should turn off the display. Instead it does a major dim but in a dark room it still shines. It’s as if when I turned off my tv it still glowed a little. I think that needs to be fixed.

I know, Iknow...I can tell it “Alexa turnoff your display”. And I can easily move it face down.. but still those are just workarounds.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:39:35 am »
Yes... That's how it works... I suppose the whole purpose behind the Spot is for displaying something useful at all times... so a clock... temperature/weather.... something... in my mind, is expected to show up on the display. On my Tablets, with the "Show Mode" Feature, at least one of them is "going to sleep" after long periods of no sound in it's recognizable area... it wakes up and displays it's face on first audio recognition of any kind.

OnMy Spot I can adjust the brightness (even the adaptive brightness as well) to a very low level... but I'm not using mine as a bedside clock at this time...still may but haven't decided I want to depend on it yet. I can summon batman with it in the daylight it's so bright at it's highest levels though... LOL
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!