Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Fire TV Now with 4K Ultra HD And Alexa?

chadbaldwin

Fire TV Now with 4K Ultra HD And Alexa?
« on: March 13, 2016, 01:53:11 pm »
This may have been posted already, if so, sorry. So I logged into Amazon today and saw that it says FireTV now has Alexa?

"Fire TV Now with 4K Ultra HD And Alexa"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3FPN4U/ref=ods_gw_d_h4_smp_se_dk?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

So does the version of Alexa that is now on the Fire TV have all the same abilities as the Echo? I mainly use my Echo for connected home / smart home commands and playing music.

Re: Fire TV Now with 4K Ultra HD And Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
no alarm or timer, you must use voice remote, no direct volume control and power must be left on.  IMO, if you want the alexa to play music, it would be more convenient to get the echo or dot though you would need good speakers for the dot. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:53:48 pm by renegade600 »

chadbaldwin

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 06:06:04 pm »
Yeah, I ended up ordering an Echo Dot in addition to my standard Echo. I was asking because I was trying to decide between the dot and the fireTV, trying to decide which trade off was more worth it.

I might still end up getting a fire tv though.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:47:01 pm »
Yeah, I ended up ordering an Echo Dot in addition to my standard Echo. I was asking because I was trying to decide between the dot and the fireTV, trying to decide which trade off was more worth it.

I might still end up getting a fire tv though.

to use alexa on the firetv, you have to use the voice remote.  So really the tradeoff will be voice remote plus voice search on your firetv in addtion to some crossover features from alexa or no voice remote and everything else the echo has to offer.   

audio_inside

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 01:53:20 am »
It seems like a natural to interconnect Echo with FireTV for those of us that bought the Stick with its cheap remote.   Surely Amazon would be working to integrate these so we can using existing Echo/Dot to control FireTV?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:31 am »
It certainly does seem like a natural progression for Echo to be able to control Fire TV. Since they are both Amazon products, it should be convenient for the Echo engineers and Fire TV engineers to get together and make it work.
Even with Alexa living inside Fire TV now, it still can't control Fire TV. There are only a few buttons on the Fire TV remote and allowing voice commands to control those buttons would be a great start.
So far, Amazon has been oddly silent about Alexa-controlled Fire TV. They have not said yes, no, maybe, or given any hints if they're working on that at all.
If I had to guess, I'd say they're working on Inferno TV, which will replace everything they have made so far. It would be Echo, Fire TV, Dash button, Fire Phone, Fire Tablet all rolled into one unit that connects to your TV. And it would operate regardless of whether your TV is on or off. (btw, I'm half way joking)