Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Selecting target Echo for sound output?

Yarrenbool

Selecting target Echo for sound output?
« on: June 28, 2018, 02:13:02 pm »
I would like to set an alarm telling Alexa on my "Living room Echo":
"Alexa, set an alarm for 7:30 am on Bedroom Echo."

The system replies with something like "Alarm set for 7:30" before it can even hear the final part of the command; "on Bedroom Echo" and so the alarm rings on the "Living room Echo" and NOT on the "Bedroom Echo" as I wanted.

Is it not possible to specify which Echo is to sound the alarm (or other sound output such as playing music)?

I've created a 'Group' that is my two Echoes called "Everywhere" but Echo always sends any sounds out to only the Echo that heard the command.

I've ordered two Dots and was planning on putting one in the kitchen so, among other things, I could use the one in the kitchen to give the command to, for example, play music over the living room Echo. It looks like this isn't possible. I hope I've got this wrong.

Is there a special command or required syntax to have an Echo other than the one you're talking into play the sounds?

What is the purpose of being able to group two or more Echos if you can't tell Alexa which Echo or group of Echos to send the sound to?

I'm confused.

Laurel

Re: Selecting target Echo for sound output?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 07:13:25 pm »
Use the website or the app to set the alarm in the room you want it to sound. I use the app.

Yarrenbool

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:55:01 pm »
Use the website or the app to set the alarm in the room you want it to sound. I use the app.

Great, thanks, I hadn’t thought of that.

But does that mean it’s impossible to create an alarm, or play music, by giving the instruction on one Echo but have the result come from a different specified Echo?

Today I received a couple of Dots which are already placed in convenient locations, I’d like to be able to use them for voice-input but have the resulting music, or alarm etc, come from my Echo Plus in the living room or the Echo in my bedroom.

Laurel

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:44 pm »
I don't think you can do what you want to do.  I think you can only set up the alarm for the device you are talking to.  Here is a bit of an old thread about the subject, and I really don't think things have changed.  https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/94141/alarm-groups.html
Sorry to disillusion you lol.  Maybe it isn't so, and someone else with more tech knowledge will jump in. 

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 01:18:33 am »
I don’t think so either - this discussion was from 18 months ago, but I don’t believe anything has changed.
https://iot.stackexchange.com/questions/411/will-alarms-set-on-one-amazon-echo-be-shared-with-all-other-devices-in-the-same

kitley

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:12:59 pm »
 I  started with the Echo Plus, then a week later added the echo.  I live in Canada.  I set up both in the Everywhere Group.  If I ask for a certain sound in Everywhere, both will be the same.  If I don't specify the Everywhere Group...it will play on which one I made the request from.  I do notice that if several times I have said on Everywhere, it will do that without me specifying.  I called Amazon.ca and they helped me set this  up.  Maybe for the alarm, if you said ...Alexa on the bedroom set an alarm??????

Yarrenbool

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:43:03 pm »
I  started with the Echo Plus, then a week later added the echo.  I live in Canada.  I set up both in the Everywhere Group.  If I ask for a certain sound in Everywhere, both will be the same.  If I don't specify the Everywhere Group...it will play on which one I made the request from.  I do notice that if several times I have said on Everywhere, it will do that without me specifying.  I called Amazon.ca and they helped me set this  up.  Maybe for the alarm, if you said ...Alexa on the bedroom set an alarm??????

Thanks for your suggestions! (I’m also in Canada, Québec City)

Just tried your alarm suggestion using your syntax, unfortunately alarm only sounded on the input Echo, not the requested one.

You said, “If I ask for a certain sound in Everywhere, both will be the same.” Can you tell me the exact syntax you use to get this to work please?  I feel like I’m missing something that must be obvious to everyone else but apparently not to me. >:(

I would appreciate any suggestions, no matter how obvious they might seem.

Echo/Alexa seem to be fairly close to being pretty great but in some ways not quite up to scratch, missing some simple basic functions, voice recognition good but not great, etc.

Alexa for example, when asking it to convert °C to °F, thinks I’m saying “19” when I say “90”. I solve this by saying “nine zero”.

What to me seems a simple ability it’s lacking, you can not have it tell you the time in a routine activated by a voice trigger. You can’t have several steps, like turning on or off light, and at some point say the time. A simple option like having Alexa say “It’s now $time.” where Alexa substitutes “$time” for the actual current time. This is used in many other applications that use script-like commands.

Oops, sorry, getting carried away with off-topic comments. :)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 04:46:09 pm »
LOL I hope you're not one of those people who try to say "90" by emphasizing the second syllable by saying "nine-TEE". If that's you, even a human would be confused let alone an A.I.

BTW, does the Canadian version of the Echo allow you to choose between English and French?