Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How do I add a pause to Echo speech?

Stackmann

How do I add a pause to Echo speech?
« on: June 02, 2018, 08:01:25 am »
We have a reminder for our 97 year old Mother.  She does not hear well and things need to be repeated. If we repeat the reminder, it becomes a run on sentence.  What can we add to create a pause between this example: Mom, let the cat out. Mom, let the cat out.

AlanH

Re: How do I add a pause to Echo speech?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 11:59:35 am »
Tricky one. I get “I’m reminding you, make a cup of coffee”, followed by 5 seconds of silence, followed by the reminder again. I suppose you could duplicate the reminder, but one minute later.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 04:42:30 pm »
Try adding 3 commas between each word
Mom,,, let,,, the,,, cat,,, out.

Offline kenf

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:49:23 am »
If punctuation doesn't fully help, here's some other ideas:

Children and people not paying attention only hear the last thing you said.
So when you say, "Don't run in the house", they probably heard "run in the house"

Having some header text to get their attention, with the meat of what's important at the end helps.

You've got "Mom" in your example, but that might be too short.  Try "Hey mom!  This is your reminder to Let the Cat Out"

This gives the brain some time to realize somebody's talking to them, and that front half of the text isn't important if they miss half of it.  By the time they swivel around to pay attention, the Content portion of the message should be coming on.