Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa recorded and forward private conversation

Alexa recorded and forward private conversation
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »
It is being reported that the Amazon Echo recorded and forwarded a private conversation to a contact without permission or even them knowing about it.   Anyone have any second thoughts?

the family got in touch with Amazon's engineering department, who were able to confirm that audio had indeed been unintentionally broadcast.

"They said, 'Our engineers went through your logs, and they saw exactly what you told us, they saw exactly what you said happened,

https://www.cnet.com/news/alexa-sent-private-audio-to-a-random-contact-portland-family-says/

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa recorded and forward private conversation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:16:31 pm »
I'm not concerned about this. Like they said, it's more of an elaborate "Alexa butt-dial."
For those who are concerned, just disable calling from Alexa. Similarly if you are concerned about butt-dialing on your smartphone, don't put your phone in your back pocket. There are always going to be possibilities of activating functions unintentionally, whether by voice, by an errant press of a button or screen, or something else. Years ago I had a touch-screen monitor for my computer that was clicking things on the desktop because a fly was crawling on the screen. It was an older screen that used optical sensors instead of pressure or capacitive sensors. If I wasn't right there in front of the computer watching this happen, I might have thought I was hacked and someone on the outside had control of my computer.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:33 pm »
I am not concerned about this either.  It was bound to happen.  IMO, this is one of the reasons why amazon does not let the users use any name for a wakeup name. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:04:09 pm »
This story made the NBC news last night; basically a sound bite.