Echo & Alexa Forums

Hi from a newbie.

Cyborg

Hi from a newbie.
« on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:22 am »
Hi from a newbie  :P
I have only had my Echo for a few days & its working great but I have a question.
I know the voice recordings are stored on the cloud to help with my voice recognition but my phone already has loads of cards in the Alexa app, I don't want thousands of cards eventually taking up space on my phone.
My question is – can I delete all cards from the app but leave the voice recordings in the cloud ?

Offline kenf

Re: Hi from a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:05:46 am »
what do you mean by cards?

Those log entries showing you what command Alexa heard?

those are just text.  Text is cheap.  One byte per character (letter, number, symbol, space).  1024 bytes to a kilobyte.  1024 kilobytes to a megabyte.  1024 megabytes to a gigabyte.

those thousands of text elements will one day add up to the size of one JPG you snapped of your dinner.

Cyborg

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:48:17 am »
OK thanks for the info Kenf.
I can see the point in saving some of them as text for future reference but it looks as if I will get far to many in a busy month or so to fined the one of interest.
I now assume if I delete them all on a regular basis it will not effect the voice recognition on the cloud.

Offline kenf

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:41:39 pm »
yep.  in fact, it you log into the web page for alexa, you'll notice the same list.  that means the entire list content is actually on the cloud, not your phone, it's just displaying what's in the cloud.