Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Multiple Echo's location aware scenes

alexanderfitu

Multiple Echo's location aware scenes
« on: May 03, 2018, 06:17:16 am »
Good morning all

I am in the process of deploying multiple Echo's around the house.
I understand that they are location aware. EG I am able to say "turn off lights" and it will turn off the lights in the room that the Echo is currently in, that is great.

However, can Scene's be location aware too?

Eg, If I setup a movie lighting scene in the living room and the tv room, will saying "alexa, movie lighting" in both rooms change only those rooms or will I have to setup a scene that says "living room movie lighting" and "tv room movie lighting"?

Thanks for your help!

fstbusa

Re: Multiple Echo's location aware scenes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:30:23 am »
unless something has changed, I am not aware that they are location aware.  Could be with bulbs that are directly echo compatible but it does not work that way with my smartthings integration and the 3 echo devices I have.

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:28:12 am »
Echos are not location aware as such. You CAN group them together as an 'alexa-enabled group' with the lights you want to control. IE, in a livingroom smartgroup, you put the livingroom lights and the livingroom echo.

Scenes are a different kind of groups, they do not include an echo so not alexa enabled in that sense.
You can name a scene 'movie lights' and turn off all the light in the house and turn on selected lights in different rooms or whatever you want.

alexanderfitu

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »
Thanks both.

I was referring to Room awareness : https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-updates-alexa-with-important-new-smart-home-powers/

At the moment, If I group my living room echo, and all my living rooms lights, I can say:

"Lights off"

Instead of

"lights off in the living room"

So can I do the same for scenes?

I suppose not if I think about it.
I will have to say "alexa, movie mode living room" and "alexa, movie mode tv room", which is a bit of a shame.

Drwoodr

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:44:48 am »
You should be able to do what you want with a routine.  You can add scenes to a routine.

dragon123

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:42 am »
Thanks both.

I was referring to Room awareness : https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-updates-alexa-with-important-new-smart-home-powers/

Yes, they mean the same thing: an 'alexa-enabled group' in the app.