Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Lights; Dusk on & Dawn Off

SirLoin

Lights; Dusk on & Dawn Off
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:32:54 pm »
I have an Echo and a Wink Hub, right now I only control my kitchen dimmer switch when I ask Alexa. I would like to have my front house outside lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn. There are cool Astronomical switches out there for $33 that would work, but I wonder if I could make Alexa turn on and off the lights if I bought a Z-Wave on/off light switch. It would need to be automatic, as I wouldn't want to tell Alexa everytime I wanted it on, just automatically. I see there are IFTTT recipes out there for that.
Anybody tried this? Is it reliable?   

cosmotherobot

Re: Lights; Dusk on & Dawn Off
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:03:31 pm »
I don't have a wink, but I use program called sunwait in a cron script to send api commands to my Hue hub to turn some of my lights on at dusk and off at dawn.  It adjusts to the actual sunrise & sunset time for my lat/long.   The echo doesn't get involved.      I think I saw where wink has an api that you might be able to do the same thing.

Re: Lights; Dusk on & Dawn Off
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 05:20:52 pm »
I have an Echo and a Wink Hub, right now I only control my kitchen dimmer switch when I ask Alexa. I would like to have my front house outside lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn. There are cool Astronomical switches out there for $33 that would work, but I wonder if I could make Alexa turn on and off the lights if I bought a Z-Wave on/off light switch. It would need to be automatic, as I wouldn't want to tell Alexa everytime I wanted it on, just automatically. I see there are IFTTT recipes out there for that.
Anybody tried this? Is it reliable?

there are ifttt recipes that will do what you want.  for the hue, there are two that I know of - one to turn off at dawn and one to turn on at dusk.  if you do not have the hue, then check to see if there are recipes for your setup.