Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Radio Alarms - Change in functionalty

stocklen

Radio Alarms - Change in functionalty
« on: April 30, 2018, 04:19:08 am »
I have an echo spot in the bedroom, and a weekday alarm to wake to a radio station.

Normally, this works fine, and the screen displays "good morning!" followed by a few more lies of text including the current time.

This morning, however, the radio started playing a few moments before the alarm time.. and then at the alarm time the normal 'alarm sound' was played - something i had to then say 'alexa stop' to silence it.  The screen then displayed the 'radio player' screen.

This is quite annoying for 2 reasons.  Firstly having to silence the alarm 'manually'.  Secondly there is no longer a perpetual time display on the spot.  I need to keep an eye on the time so i know when to get out of bed!

Anyone else seen this?

Im all for constant improvement, and updates, but this seems a big backwards step in functionality to me.

AlanH

Re: Radio Alarms - Change in functionalty
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 05:19:36 am »
The latest firmware seems to have changed the clock display, and not in a good way. Have you checked the following:
Settings > Home & Clock> Rotate Once, and also deselect all of the Home Cards. You should get a constant time display, apart form an occasional, random "What's Trending" card.

stocklen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:54:49 am »
The latest firmware seems to have changed the clock display, and not in a good way. Have you checked the following:
Settings > Home & Clock> Rotate Once, and also deselect all of the Home Cards. You should get a constant time display, apart form an occasional, random "What's Trending" card.

Ill check it later... although this wont really help too much.

Im all for new firmware and improvements to the way things work... and I appreciate that every time things change that they dont email us out a list of new things.

However, what I describe is a significant backwards step when using the spot as a radio alarm clock.

I actually thought that the 'good morning!' screen was a little badly designed with the time needing to be bigger if anything... its disappointing for it to have disappeared altogether.

AlanH

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:44 am »
I just set an alarm - “Alexa, set an alarm for 12.00pm from BBC Radio 2.”
At 12.00pm, BBC Radio 2 began playing, and the display changed from a clock face to “Good Afternoon it’s 12.00pm. BBC Radio 2”
“Alexa, stop” turned off the radio and the display returned to the clock face.

stocklen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:15:14 am »
I just set an alarm - “Alexa, set an alarm for 12.00pm from BBC Radio 2.”
At 12.00pm, BBC Radio 2 began playing, and the display changed from a clock face to “Good Afternoon it’s 12.00pm. BBC Radio 2”
“Alexa, stop” turned off the radio and the display returned to the clock face.

Oh, thats interesting!  Thats how it always used to work for me... just not this morning.

Maybe for me this morning was a glitch and a one-off.  Thanks for checking ill wait and see what happens tomorrow morning!

stocklen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 04:27:31 am »
Thanks for that AlanH

This morning, it worked as it always did with the 'Good Morning!' screen displayed.

Weird yesterday... just put it down to one of those one-off glitches.  Im glad that they didnt change the functionality as it would have been a big backwards step.

Thanks for checking for me.

PKSlough

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:25:46 pm »
Presumably the radio still comes on at full volume for you guys?

A while ago I requested to Amazon that when selecting a gradual volume increase for the alarm, the radio should also do that if selected as your "alarm sound".

This was one of the first things that disappointed me when I got my Spot. Afetr trying the gradual alarm sound, I tried the radio and it came blasting out immediately rather than fading up.

AlanH

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 01:32:13 pm »
No fade-up for me - comes on at full volume.