Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

having alexa turn on my samsung soundbar

lardlad

having alexa turn on my samsung soundbar
« on: April 12, 2018, 11:20:58 am »
I have the harmony hub set up and can get alexa to turn on my TV, but not my soundbar.
I thought I followed the same directions that I did for the TV.  I can turn the soundbar on with the harmony remote
but when I ask Alexa to "turn on bar" it says it doesn't find that activity.

Re: having alexa turn on my samsung soundbar
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »
I have the harmony hub set up and can get alexa to turn on my TV, but not my soundbar.
I thought I followed the same directions that I did for the TV.  I can turn the soundbar on with the harmony remote
but when I ask Alexa to "turn on bar" it says it doesn't find that activity.

I have mine set up as part of another activity (actually several) and the sound bar comes on easily each time. It is also a Samsung.

I don't ever ask it to turn on on it's own though, so my commands to "turn on Music" turns on the sound bar and sets it to bluetooth and waits for me to connect my source. I also turn on the TV with that command to have a visual Picture frame of slideshow kind of... while I listen to music.
I have a command "Turn on Fire TV" turns on the TV, adjusts the input to Firestick and turns on the fire stick and waits for any further commands, such as "Launch Netflix" or "Play [whatever]Movie". Another command "Turn on Playstation" and it turns on the TV, sets the proper input, turns on the sound bar, and turns on the playstation. 
I also have a "Watch TV" command, and my favorite catch all "Turn everything off" command that works great at turning off all the current AV items that are on, as long as the grand kids haven't been fiddling with the machines manually...

I can also ask for "Turn on Sound Bar" which Works Flawlessly. and even ask it to set a timer for the activities I have described so far... Harmony will work with the Echo to get it done and never fails me if I don't have that extra help from the Kiddos.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you have it set up through aHarmony Hub properly, the Proper NAME for the Samsung sound bar, is "Sound Bar" when calling commands for it. I set up all of my activities with the Harmony Automatically except one.Never had a problem within of them... but I must say I also have YONOMI running so maybe that's the little tidbit that all of it runs on... It is something I forget at times as it is such a "Background" part of my system. It will also do a lot of automatic set up if you use it with Harmony Hub. Look into skills and phone apps for YONOMI... the phone app is where to start, then move to the Skill and set it all up and the end of your AV worries will be soon to follow.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!