Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

HELP NEEDED PLEASE - Alexa will not link with TP-Link Smart Plug HS100

GKL

I did register with TP-Link and loaded the android Kasa app on a smartphone AND the smart plug DOES work where I can turn it on and off using the on screen button on the smartphone Kasa app.

but every time I try to link the smart plug to Alexa at https://api.tplinkra.com/oauth/authorize

I keep getting the message "We were unable to link TP-LINK Kasa at this time. Please try again later." I've tried many times and at different times of the day and night, and keep getting the same message.

I searched the forum for ideas and I have already tried the following:

rebooted the router (also unplugged it for a while and plugged it back in)

did resets on the smart plug itself

unplugged and plugged my Amazon Echo Dots back in to reboot those

tried port forwarding on ports 50443 and 9999

I consider myself fairly tech savvy but this is not very user friendly.

The smart plug works fine except for not being able to link it to Alexa so I can turn it on and off using a voice command thru an Echo Dot.

The last part of that message I keep getting "We were unable to link TP-LINK Kasa at this time. Please try again later."

.....the "at this time" and "please try again later" SEEMS to indicate the problem is on Amazon's side of things and not mine, but even IF it is on Amazon's side should it still being going on for about 2 days so far ?

Any ideas appreciated !

Thanks !

AlanH

Did you go into Settings > Smart Home and select Add Device?

GKL

Did you go into Settings > Smart Home and select Add Device?

I see my Echos but nothing that says "add device"

edit to add: okay, the page at https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#appliances  where you click to "discover" new devices, every time I try it does not find the smart plug.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:17:46 pm by GKL »

AlanH

In the iOS app there’s a section under the main menu called Smart Home where you can add smart devices. There should be something similar in the Android version?
Edit: it’s in the main menu, not under Settings. Apologies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:14:51 pm by AlanH »

GKL

In the iOS app there’s a section under the main menu called Smart Home where you can add smart devices. There should be something similar in the Android version?
Edit: it’s in the main menu, not under Settings. Apologies.

I tried it both on the android app and the Amazon web page, does not find it using either one.

(by the way, thanks for your ideas !)

AlanH

One thought - in the Kasa app, under Settings, look for the software version, and see if it needs updating.

GKL

One thought - in the Kasa app, under Settings, look for the software version, and see if it needs updating.

it says no updates available

haisaikat

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE - Alexa will not link with TP-Link Smart Plug HS100
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 04:05:56 pm »
Hi There, joining late to the discussion and not sure if it's already resolved. But I recently faced same problem with echo fit 3rd generation and after banging my head for 2 days figured out that while my preferred browser on phone is chrome but the Alexa app was launching the authentication window using another browse on my phone and it did not have cookies enabled. Resolving permission to store cookies on the browser and repeating the steps solved it

Gollum2016

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE - Alexa will not link with TP-Link Smart Plug HS100
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 07:58:40 am »
I know this thread is old but if you never resolved it.
You say you downloaded the to link app but did you enable the to link skill. This enables Alexa to find the devices.