Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

TV audio setup through Alexa

technik21

TV audio setup through Alexa
« on: April 01, 2018, 06:56:43 am »
Hi All,

I have a TV that doesn't support Bluetooth, but has a 3.5mm Headphone port.
I have tried to connect TV to Alexa (2nd Gen) via a BT transmitter plug in adapter, plugged in to the TV headphone port, but although Alexa recognises and pairs with the transmitter (Avantree Roxa Plus), there is no sound heard through Alexa.

The TV sound is still heard through the TV speakers too, which I would have thought once a jack is inserted in to the H\phone port, it would mute the external speakers.

When Alexa is connected to the BT, that is then muted too. (nothing heard on Alexa when she replies)

Have I got this all wrong, or is this doomed from the start?

I searched Google, but it seems this is the way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all  :)

Drwoodr

Re: TV audio setup through Alexa
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:14:34 am »
I’m not sure what you are trying to do here by connecting your echo to your TV, but the echo sends audio output to a Bluetooth speaker, your setup is sending TV audio output to the echo. It’s not going to work.

Ferox

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 04:38:26 am »
Sounds like you should check your tv settings. With my LG TV I have to choose which audio out option I want to use. Check if there is internal speakers checked and not the aux out. After that your problem could be solved.

technik21

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:20:55 am »
Thanks for your replies.

I'm trying to improve the the sound from the TV speakers of a second TV, so thought I could have the sound come from Alexa instead.
I have a Fire Stick that does exactly that on another non bluetooth TV, by diverting the TV sound to my other Alexa.
This option of course only works within the fire stick's own programme's, and not the TV's tuner.

I've checked the audio output on the second TV (Panasonic TX P50VT), and there is no audio out option within the setup menu.
Further research has led me to believe that my TV requires external speakers\soundbar etc to be connected via a HDMI- ARC connection for these to work.  My TV has Optical out, Component, headphone ports, and the usual HDMI \ USB

I just thought I could plug a BT transmitter using the supplied stereo jack, from the TV's 3.5mm headphone port, and BT connect to Alexa for sound.

It's no big deal, just a thought......  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:23:37 am by technik21 »

Ferox

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:06:55 am »
How did you do that? I'm looking exactly for this feature, which I think you mentioned.
I have TV with the Fire TV Stick, which has no bluetooth function, and I want to use my Alexa Echo as a speaker instead of the internal TV speakers. I thought that I could somehow grab the sound of the Fire TV stick, after I paired my Fire TV with my Alexa. But now I can just control my fire TV with voice. :/

What I did:
I bought a BT transmitter and connected it to the optical out of my tv (where I previously had a samsung soundbar). Then I paired the transmitter with Alexa. It did the trick and worked fine ... BUT! The following scenario doesn't work and it really sucks:
The TV is turned off but the transmitter is still "online", since it has 24/7 power supply. I want to play music over Alexa, which is still connected to the transmitter. The music is bearly unhearable since Alexa thinks that it also has to play the "music" of the BT transmitter. When I disconnect the BT transmitter via the app, everything is fine for a few minutes, but then Alexa does an automatic reconnect (or the transmitter does that, which I think is feature of the adapter).
Solution would be to turn off the transmitter manually, but that's not what I want.

technik21

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 07:18:37 am »
Hi Ferox.

My Firestick is Bluetooth, so it paired to Alexa and I can enable it to send sound through Alexa if required.

I think in your case with your TV Optical solution, you would just tell Alexa to disconnect Bluetooth, and this should restore Alexa's speaker without having to switch of the BT transmitter.
The same with my Fire Stick, I just enable \ disable the BT by asking Alexa to connect \ disconnect .

I will try your TV Optical connection solution, and see if that works for me.

Thanks