Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo and the Bose Mini?

leehop71

Echo and the Bose Mini?
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:52:19 pm »
Just wondered if there was a way to link the Echo with the Bose Mini, via bluetooth, and have Echo play through the Bose Mini?

mike27oct

Re: Echo and the Bose Mini?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:33:04 pm »
No way a BT speaker can play to another BT speaker.  You need a transmitter and a receiver, not two speakers.

Nonetheless, There are lots of posts about connecting a BT transmission and Echo speaker together in this forum.  (Basically, you need an app on phone that plays music (from any source) and then you use the phone or other device ( a PC) to send BT music to the Bose, or Echo.

Please search the site messages for the word Bluetooth, and then enjoy reading the posts that appear.

By the way, if the Echo had a headphone out jack, you could connect a small BT transmitter to the
Echo headphone out jack and send the output to the Bose speaker. (This is exactly how I send my iPod music to anything via BT; like to the Echo, BT speaker, etc.) There must be a reason Amazon didn't put an output jack on the Echo; maybe they don't want us to be able to bypass the Echo's  marginal quality speakers.  Some people have tried to hack the Echo to have a headphone jack, but the problem is the Echo does mot have stereo speakers, instead it has hi and low frequency speakers; not at all same as stereo.

Maff

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:09:06 pm »
Actually Mike I would beg to differ. Echo cannot do this right now, but both you and I have no idea what amazon has bundled into the hardware, not that Amazon would tell us. My Android Wear watch at release was simply a bluetooth reciever, until a much later update enabled it to be a sender to headphones on its own too.

I have seen a lot of people express a desire to be able to send audio to a superior bluetooth sound system they already own whilst maintaining Alexas convenient voice controls. Amazon are pretty clever & probably thought of this too as a possibility. Who knows what future updates may bring, given how much has already been added since it was invite only. I thought hell would freeze over before Amazon added native spotify support given it's direct competition with Prime. And here I am, listening to it right now on my Echo as I type this.

Maybe you should search Google for how Android Wear devices switched from recievers to transmitters with a mere software update, and then enjoy reading the posts that appear...

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »
You are not differing with me; you are coming up with a "what-if", in the future, Amazon does such and such to enable Echo to transmit BT, whereas I am speaking of the current situation.  There is a difference here.  The OP wants to do it now, and that is not possible, now.

Meanwhile, I will not hold my breath for it, (or anything new) to happen anytime soon, but if it does, then the situation will be different, right?

leehop71

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:15:41 pm »
Don't get me wrong, the Echo music sounds okay, but nothing compares to the Bose Mini for it's size!

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:02:51 am »
Nope, we know you're not dissing the sound of the Echo, but I will.  It definitely could have been designed to sound better, but I find it acceptable for what it is.  Anyway, that's what the hi-fi stereo system is for. I just think of the Echo as a cool "new-tech" table radio.  :)

Oh, and would you care to put your Bose Mini up against my Mini Jambox?   ;)

If you want to make your Mini Bose sound even better with more lower bass, put it on a table close to an open corner of a room (no drapes) and faced toward the center of the room.  The length of the two hard surface walls enhance the lowest bass. (This goes for any of the small BT speakers).  Big speakers placed this way can be an "overkill" situation.

leehop71

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:52:47 am »
Nope, we know you're not dissing the sound of the Echo, but I will.  It definitely could have been designed to sound better, but I find it acceptable for what it is.  Anyway, that's what the hi-fi stereo system is for. I just think of the Echo as a cool "new-tech" table radio.  :)

Oh, and would you care to put your Bose Mini up against my Mini Jambox?   ;)

If you want to make your Mini Bose sound even better with more lower bass, put it on a table close to an open corner of a room (no drapes) and faced toward the center of the room.  The length of the two hard surface walls enhance the lowest bass. (This goes for any of the small BT speakers).  Big speakers placed this way can be an "overkill" situation.

I guess it's okay if I hijack the thread since I started it ...  :D  everybody has their own opinions and hear things differently, but when I was shopping for the bluetooth speaker, I A/Bed the Bose with all the BT speakers Verizon had in stock, and none of the others compared to the Bose.  (Obviously, I know they don't have all the BT speakers in stock, but I know they had both Jamboxes, JBLs, UEs, Beats, Sony, and IHome.)

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »
Yep, buy a Bose if money is no object. (Some of the most over-priced audio equipment around for a long time, other than buying something from Crutchfield). My Jambox had best bang for the buck at BestBuy.  (Or should I say, best boom for the buck?)

leehop71

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 08:11:05 pm »
Yep, buy a Bose if money is no object. (Some of the most over-priced audio equipment around for a long time, other than buying something from Crutchfield). My Jambox had best bang for the buck at BestBuy.  (Or should I say, best boom for the buck?)

Jambox holds it's own I have to say. Love the new Jawbone Era BT headsets.

Maff

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »
I was thinking about this issue, and while it may not help you with your situation, I did wonder if Alexa may on the future gain this ability I a roundabout way through spotify? On my tablet I can choose to play music on the tablet itself, or choose another device eg a chromecast or any spotify connect enabled device. Once the audio is sent to the device, my tablet retains control ie skipping tracks, and choosing other albums. I wonder if the new native Spotify integration could act in the same way on conmand.. Ie "Alexa, spotify connect to big speakers" etc. In terms of Chromecasts, you can now create groups also and therefore potentially even cobble together a Multiroom sound system on command via alexa.. Seeing as Alexa is a full spotify client rather than a basic spotify connect receptacle it sound bypass any limitations bluetooth may or may not have,and do it via cloud services.

Maff

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
Amazon has today announced the Echo Dot which seems to do exactly what we were talking about in terms of bluetooth. I wonder if it will be a possibility to add the bluetooth sending to the normal echo, hardware permitting? I guess time will tell.

leehop71

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »
Going to order one this evening.

Maff

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 02:28:30 pm »
Actually Mike I would beg to differ. Echo cannot do this right now, but both you and I have no idea what amazon has bundled into the hardware, not that Amazon would tell us. My Android Wear watch at release was simply a bluetooth reciever, until a much later update enabled it to be a sender to headphones on its own too.

I have seen a lot of people express a desire to be able to send audio to a superior bluetooth sound system they already own whilst maintaining Alexas convenient voice controls. Amazon are pretty clever & probably thought of this too as a possibility. Who knows what future updates may bring, given how much has already been added since it was invite only. I thought hell would freeze over before Amazon added native spotify support given it's direct competition with Prime. And here I am, listening to it right now on my Echo as I type this.

Maybe you should search Google for how Android Wear devices switched from recievers to transmitters with a mere software update, and then enjoy reading the posts that appear...

Looks like this has now happened! Amazon have released a quiet update which means a full size echo can now SEND audio (apparently dolby stereo too) to other Bluetooth recievers.

Listening to echo now on my much better sounding hifi. Chuffed!