Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Connected lighting question.

robwoolly

Connected lighting question.
« on: March 16, 2018, 06:18:28 am »
Hi folks, first time posting so apologies if this is a noob question.

I currently have two Echo connected plugs which are controlling lamps and a connected Sonoff light.

I have them setup in the Alexa app as Biglight (for the Sonoff light), and fairy lights and lamp for the other 2.

I have grouped them within the app under mood lighting and the end goal is to be able to turn on the two lamps and turn off the big light. At the moment its all on or all off, so is there anyway to say if the big light is on turn it off and turn on the two lamps, or if the big light is off leave it off and just turn on the 2 lamps?

Thanks for any support.

dragon123

Re: Connected lighting question.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:35:19 am »
Hi folks, first time posting so apologies if this is a noob question.

I currently have two Echo connected plugs which are controlling lamps and a connected Sonoff light.

I have them setup in the Alexa app as Biglight (for the Sonoff light), and fairy lights and lamp for the other 2.

I have grouped them within the app under mood lighting and the end goal is to be able to turn on the two lamps and turn off the big light. At the moment its all on or all off, so is there anyway to say if the big light is on turn it off and turn on the two lamps, or if the big light is off leave it off and just turn on the 2 lamps?

Thanks for any support.

You can make another group 'main lights' which includes the fairly lights and the other lamp, and/or make a routine to string together multiple commands like 'Alexa, mood lights' which would mean 'turn on main lights, turn off biglight'. (Or if you didn't create the group main lights: 'turn on fairy light, turn on lamp, turn off biglight'.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:37:43 am by dragon123 »

robwoolly

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:20:43 am »
Ok great stuff thanks will give it a try.

Never even knew about routines  :)

Jerome

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:34 am »
Not sure I fully understood the configuration and the needs but with my LIFX bulbs and their dedicated app I can create scenes.
It's very convenient to turn on/off particular lights in one single command (I have a total of 8 bulbs scattered in the main living space : 3 in the living room / 5 in the dining room).

For instance I have a LIFX scene called "Movie time" so when I say "Alexa, turn on movie time" :
+ all 5 dining room lights go off (no matter their initial state)
+ the TV and sofa lights turn on and set to 20%
+ the lounge light (above TV/sofa) goes off

But maybe your Sonoff equipment does not provide such a feature  :-\