Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa when the internet is down

spinkas

Alexa when the internet is down
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:06 am »
i have lots of devices connected to my smart home, but if the comcast internet goes out, which it does  sometimes, that all goes away.

Does alexa have an "offline" mode where the home things will still work?  I also have a QNAP on my network with has a locat IFTTT server, could alexa routines be stored there for local access and command/control. 

those are neat features. 

perhpas we just need a special router, that tell alexa its online no matter what and intercept the commands to send locally.

what does alexa use as a heartbeat to amazon.com? Can that be spoofed?

Offline kenf

Re: Alexa when the internet is down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:18 pm »
Alexa's hardware is only good enough to recognize its wake word and capture a minute's worth of audio, which it sends to Amazon after it hears the wake word.

None of the processing occurs inside the Echo.  It's a thin client.

Even my SmartThings hub, while it is smart, the app on my phone authenticates to Samsung.com first.  Then my command is relayed to my hub.  my phone can either do wifi or cell for data.  So if I unplug the router, the SmartThing can't see samsung.com, and if my phone is on cellular data, it can't see the SmartThing on wifi after it authenticates to Samsung.

So no internet, is a huge bummer.

In my house, I use z-wave light switches.  So physically, I still have traditional light switches, even if the hub, wifi, or internet dies.  I'd just go back to the old ways.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 01:35:40 pm »
Loss of internet service is a certified 1st World issue.  Just deal with it like when we lose other utilities for a while. Pull out your emergency kit.

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:59:54 am »
Alarms and timers will work without internet, but that's about all. Alexa needs to connect to Amazon servers to interpret and carry out most commands. The Plus may still be able to control devices, not sure about that though as I don't have a plus.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:55:56 pm »
I read someplace that there could be an echo device that will work offline.   wish I could find the article again. 

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:12:42 pm »
Who knows, since an Alexa device can be connected to a phone's hotspot, some useful internet functionality can be obtained that way.  I don't know, so does anyone want to try it?

Offline kenf

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »
Who knows, since an Alexa device can be connected to a phone's hotspot, some useful internet functionality can be obtained that way.  I don't know, so does anyone want to try it?

That's a good idea, working within the technical limits I described. 

How easy is it to swap out wifi networks on an Echo?  During an outage?
Does Echo handle multiple wifi networks (for people who take it places, or like the portable Echo)?

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 03:10:23 pm »
Yes, sometimes when I travel I take a Dot and just connect it to the location's router wi-fi and off we go with Alexa present. Usually need to change zip code for location's weather, etc) When we return home it reconnects to home router.

Offline kenf

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 05:26:25 pm »
Yes, sometimes when I travel I take a Dot and just connect it to the location's router wi-fi and off we go with Alexa present. Usually need to change zip code for location's weather, etc) When we return home it reconnects to home router.

Based on that, I'd prep for the internet outage by turning off the router and activating the hotspot on the phone and adjusting the Dot's connection as you say.

Then turn off the hotspot and turn the router back on.

When I-day comes, turn on the hotspot and the Dot will auto re-connect.

Problem solved. :)

Personally, I don't know that I'd bother, but I've put in effort to make everything work the mundane way.  Heck, I'm even researching how to convert lamps into z-wave WITH working physical switch so the mundanes don't throw it all out of whack.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:02:51 pm »
Personally, not worth the bother.  It is easy to do when needed.  My internet hardly goes down except when Comcast works on it from 1-2 am once in a while.  If it ever does go down in daytime if I want to watch a movie I just turn on my battery powered wireless drive with lots of music and movies on it -- no internet needed.  I also have Siri on my phone.

Offline kenf

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:05:10 am »
On a related note, Samsung's SmartThings network went down last night in North America.

At least I'm not the guy on the Smarthings forum who literally is locked out of his house because he left the keys inside, his car is in the shop and with the Loaner, doesn't have the regular garage remote.

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:38 pm »
Too much automation can come back and bite ya!  Remember that!  No auto door locks pr garage doors at my house/  I trust this technology only so far.

Bulwinkle

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 09:13:10 pm »

I have a mobile home outside of Palm Springs where I have no internet connection. I use a signal booster to make my T-Mobile cellphone work well, enable the hotspot, and hook up the dot to it and use it as I would at home. Of course, it helps to have unlimited data.