Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

SMS text messaging enabled

AlanH

SMS text messaging enabled
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:55:13 am »
Amazon has enabled text messaging via SMS using an Echo. Android smartphones and US only so far, although iOS support expected in the future.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/amazon-echo-sms-messages-guide-3385716

holydoc

Re: SMS text messaging enabled
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:55:48 am »
What I was surprised about text messaging is that Alexa also sends a link to your actual voice message.

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:30:10 pm »
Do you think this feature would work outside the US if your Echo is set up with an Amazon US account and a US address in the settings ? #JustCurious
I'm in France with Echos set up with an Amazon US account but no Android smartphone to test this.

coyote

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:39:51 pm »
It works.... here in the USA. Very nice!

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:52:22 pm »
Do you think this feature would work outside the US if your Echo is set up with an Amazon US account and a US address in the settings ? #JustCurious
I'm in France with Echos set up with an Amazon US account but no Android smartphone to test this.

The app probably acts as a bridge on Android phone to send the SMS from the phone directly.

I'm in Singapore with Echo dots registered with US address. I tried both speaking to Alexa on both the app and dot, it works as stated.
Echo Dot @ SG

Jerome

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:58:17 am »

The app probably acts as a bridge on Android phone to send the SMS from the phone directly.

I'm in Singapore with Echo dots registered with US address. I tried both speaking to Alexa on both the app and dot, it works as stated.
Sweet !  8)

malliekm

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:21:15 pm »
Yeah!  I'm dusting off my Alexas :)  Google better get on the ball! 
I've tried this twice and it works as it should, but, it would be nice if
Alexa would repeat the message and verify you still wanted to send it.

Laurel

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:48:41 pm »

I'm in Canada with a US Account with a Canadian address and it is working for me.  I have Samsung Note 8 on Virgin Mobile.