Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to Play an Entire Symphony

frank1492

How to Play an Entire Symphony
« on: January 30, 2018, 12:58:14 pm »
Alexa recognizes the names of symphonies but only plays the first movement. How can I get the entire symphony played OR how can I request individual movements? For the first movement she will specify the tempo for the first movement, but does not seem to recognize a movement that I specify. Help please. Thank you.

mike27oct

Re: How to Play an Entire Symphony
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:30:21 pm »
You have discovered one of the issues of listening to music on an Alexa device, i.e. they are single track playing devices for the most part, not for symphonies, unless there is a trick I am unaware of.

I only have the basic free music from Amazon, since I have a lot of collected music already, but it might be possible to select a complete symphony through the Amazon Music app

Anyway, if I want to hear symphonies, the last place I would listen to them on would be from any type of Alexa device -- I would play one from my collection on a CD or digital file on my nice stereo system.

mindmagic

Re: How to Play an Entire Symphony
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:29 am »
First, search Amazon Music (I use the web app on my PC) for an album containing your symphony and add it to your Library. You can then immediately ask Alexa to "play album X from my Library". If the album has other pieces on it, set up a playlist with all movements from the symphony in the right order (you can re-order a playlist) and give it a name like "Beethoven 3". You can then ask Alexa for "playlist Beethoven 3". She won't have a problem with Beethoven but she struggles to recognise some composers' names; some playlists may need to be played from the Alexa app to your Echo.