Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

So Confused!

WarEagle

So Confused!
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:16 pm »
We received an Echo Plus for Christmas. I'd like to listen to music in another room in the house and control lights in another room. Do I need a Dot? Another Echo? If I don't get an Echo Plus, will I have to buy a hub? I suddenly know how my father must have felt trying to use the VCR!  Thank you!

KavonK

Re: So Confused!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:14:55 am »
To listen in different rooms you will need one in each of the rooms that has a DOT or some alexa device.  Then you can go to Smart Home in your app. Go to Groups and click the + to create a new group.  The 2nd choice is the Amazon Multi-Room music.  Choose a name: Everywhere.  Click it and from there, choose the devices you want to play.

When you are ready, just say: Alexa, play ????? on the Everywhere group. I have different multi-rooms set up, depending on where I am. I hope this helps.  If you need additional help, let me know!

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:46:54 am »
We received an Echo Plus for Christmas. I'd like to listen to music in another room in the house and control lights in another room. Do I need a Dot? Another Echo? If I don't get an Echo Plus, will I have to buy a hub? I suddenly know how my father must have felt trying to use the VCR!  Thank you!

If you want to listen to music, it all depends on the sound quality you're happy with. For me, a Dot in the kitchen works fine, for others they would want better speakers, so either a Dot + a decent separate speaker (bluetooth or line-in) or a better Alexa speaker like a Show or full-size Echo.

If the room IS the kitchen and you're buying new anyway, I'd recommend getting a Echo Show for the screen (recipes and such).

For controlling lights in another room FROM that other room, any Alexa device will do. A Dot would be the cheapest option there. If it's a bedroom, you could consider a Vobot alarm clock instead, but those don't do Spotify and you have to touch the top of the clock before speaking to it.
If touching a device to wake up Alexa first is OK, and speakers and Alexa-enabled Spotify not that important, an Amazon Fire HD 8" or 10" tablet would work as well.
Again, if speakers ARE important, you'd better buy a full size Echo or a nice separate speaker.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »

Think of it this way: You got a radio for Christmas. You want to listen to the radio in another room. Will you need another radio? Yea, probably. What kind of radio will you need? Any kind of radio (e.g. Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Echo Show...)