Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo and ipad

TennX

Echo and ipad
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:48:24 pm »
70 year old here who enjoys tech and a little bit tech savvy....my question...why do I not have as much support on my ipad as my iPhone..I can access all of echo features on iphone...but just the basics on pad..eg when I go to tunein on pad I get app support unavailable(I get this a lot) but in iphone long list of things...

mike27oct

Re: Echo and ipad
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »
I have multiple iPhones and iPads in family.  None of the iPads have a cell phone capability.  Phones and tablets are different devices and why you (we) have less features in iPad.  This is not a big deal.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:43:01 am »
Mike, do you know if having a Cellular version of an iPad would change that? I always buy the Cellular capable iPads. Just bought the iPad Pro 12.9" and haven't populated it yet with anything Alexa. we have so many other devices running Alexa apps and can control things through them (including 4 Amazon fire Tablets), I haven't decided to add the Capability to my iPad... and since no one else seems to use the Alexa apps besides me, I have it covered. I wouldn't mind adding it so much if there were an added feature it could use.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 07:48:13 am »
I doubt it. An iPad is still identified as an iPad whether it has cellular or not, based on the device ID that any app can access.

Mike, do you know if having a Cellular version of an iPad would change that?

AlanH

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:30 am »
I’m not sure I full understand the OP. I have an iPhone and a WiFi only iPad, both with the Alexa app. I have full functionality on both devices when using TuneIn. The only thing that my Alexa app lacks is the Conversations feature. I would suggest that the OP checks that his iOS is the latest version and that he has the TuneIn app on both devices and is signed in to TuneIn on both devices.

coyote

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:43 am »
I doubt it. An iPad is still identified as an iPad whether it has cellular or not, based on the device ID that any app can access.

Mike, do you know if having a Cellular version of an iPad would change that?

This is unfortunately true. And a problem for those of us who have opted to remain cellphone-free.
I have had to purchase ‘burner’ phones to accomplish certain things. The one I got for Alexa messaging and calling configuration is an LG, for $20 at bestbuy some months ago. To make it work I had to enable the cell account... though I never once used it as a cellphone, so there was never a bill. But the carrier disabled the cell account after 4 months of non-use, and gave the phone number to someone else.

If any major new features come along, I’ll likely have to find yet another cheap updated burner phone to enable and configure them.

At least I get a few “WiFi mini-tablets” to put to use around the house lol

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 01:22:09 pm »

This is unfortunately true. And a problem for those of us who have opted to remain cellphone-free.
Not a problem for me.  I use the Alexa browser app.  I've never owned a cell phone however, I have always owned Macbook Pros (notebooks) & iMacs (desktop) comps.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 03:40:46 pm »
I can do most anything "Alexa" on iPads other than setup/use the Conversations features, and any others that require a phone or phone number.  Since I also have an iPhone, I am not prevented from setting up or using Conversions ability.  Once it is setup via smartphone, conversation features can be used between Alexa devices like calling other devices and phone numbers from Alexa devices.

In today's world, anyone avoiding having a cell smartphone is shooting them self in the foot.  For many years I have used the app part regularly and the phone part very rarely as I have preferred using the landline, but more and more I have been using the cell phone to make calls from home because it is more convenient. No dialing needed; I just ask Siri to call so and so.

coyote

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 03:55:55 pm »
I can do most anything "Alexa" on iPads other than setup/use the Conversations features, and any others that require a phone or phone number.  Since I also have an iPhone, I am not prevented from setting up or using Conversions ability.  Once it is setup via smartphone, conversation features can be used between Alexa devices like calling other devices and phone numbers from Alexa devices.

In today's world, anyone avoiding having a cell smartphone is shooting them self in the foot.  For many years I have used the app part regularly and the phone part very rarely as I have preferred using the landline, but more and more I have been using the cell phone to make calls from home because it is more convenient. No dialing needed; I just ask Siri to call so and so.

I get where you’re coming from.... yet I disagree. Being without a cellphone is a blessing. It means your time is your own; it means you’re not addicted to candy crush or the latest game. It means you get voicemail, and answer it when you’re ready. It means you don’t have your phone out on the table when you’re out to eat. It means you’re paying attention to the people you’re with, rather than anticipating the next summons on that infernal device. It means your eyes and attention are on the road, rather than dialing or texting someone else... or talking on the phone in your own zone instead of paying attention to those cyclists looming on the road ahead. It means you’re not deceiving yourself of your “crucial importance” to the world - it’ll all still be there in two hours when you pick up your voicemail.

Oh, and cell comm quality remains inferior to land line communications.

And I just ask Alexa to call so-and-so now.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 06:51:22 pm »
I get where you are coming from, too.  But, I have none of the problems, addictions, you mention. (I am old enough to know better) and I have only given my cell number to very few people.  That's where I started with my first cell phone back in the 90s and where I still am today.  Most of the cell calls I get are random "phishing" expeditions from who knows where.  Even more of these kinds of calls come in to our landline.  Wife and I do not answer our phones if we do not recognize the caller or phone number.Unknown Caller can leave a message.  I rule my cell phone; cell phone does not rule me! 

Plus, I can access apps for music and videos (even remotely from my home server) when out and about such as on a long boring bus ride to baseball stadium.

A smartpnone is very handy when used intelligently.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »
Like Mike, I have a cell phone (Mine's a crazy expensive one... iPhone 8), but I don't use mine for gaming and garbage like that, and I don't give my phone out to just anybody, but like others... I have NO LAND LINE at all. I don't see the point in having a third phone bill (two bills really as my wife and I have 2 phones, same bill.. so having a land line would be a third line but only a second bill). I don't make or take many calls on my cell phone at all. However, I use it A LOT for all kinds of things that make my life easier and keeps my information at hand just about all. the time. I use the iPhone for many apps for work alone. I take pictures of assemblies that are complex that I know I will have to reassemble correctly. I take pictures of serial numbers and hour meters to have the information for paperwork later, or so I won't forget a 12 digit number when someone interrupts me in route to the computer to enter the info... I use 2 apps that are diagnostic apps I own, not the company, so I can have things they don't have, to make my life easier for troubleshooting and inspection. one is an inspection Endoscope app and a very inexpensive wireless endoscope (I think I paid about 39 bucks...) the other being a Diagnostic tool to pug into vehicle (OBD2 connection that is bluetooth) and read the information on my phone app. I do not use y phone for company calls and refuse to start that habit. If they want to supply me with a phone and pay for it... OK, but not on my dime.
I do track my emails on the phone as well. However, I do use it to read company emails too. but I can read them on the company computer as well, so they don't require me to use my phone for it, and don't even need to know I do.

as far as game addictions... I have none either. Never have done games on a phone. The grandkids started using My wife's iPhone for games and I had to stop that in it's tracks. I don't want them screwing up her communications. She talks to a lot of her family at almost any time. we Have old people and young people always in ned and she's the portal to our money... LOL well... if she asks nicely I may help out with bucks but not often... but that's what they're all calling for usually...

As far as the original poster's question, I've done nothing but cloud the water on that... but some of this was to learn about all things related to the cell phone vs iPad issues and other Alexa features and what they do and don't work with. I do find it odd that "APP Support" is not available on tablets at all, simply due to it being a tablet.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »
Well, said Scott.  Plenty of reasons to have a smart phone today.

I don't work anymore, but still find plenty of need for a cell phone, yet when I was working I bought one of the first cell phones once they became smaller than a sixe 12 shoe!  I traveled a lot for work, and since every call was basically long distance back then, and I was always too far from a pay phone, I got one.  Believe me, it helped me make money, since I could get a hold of my customers from anywhere.  In fact, I was one of the first in my company of over 100 reps to have a phone, have a computer, and use commercial email from MCI Mail; all to make myself more productive than my colleagues and competitors.

If any other Luddite-types want to disparage having a cell phone, please don't bother.

TennX

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 10:18:33 am »
I’m not sure I full understand the OP. I have an iPhone and a WiFi only iPad, both with the Alexa app. I have full functionality on both devices when using TuneIn. The only thing that my Alexa app lacks is the Conversations feature. I would suggest that the OP checks that his iOS is the latest version and that he has the TuneIn app on both devices and is signed in to TuneIn on both devices.

Wifi Ipad, signed into every thing....as I said most of Echo works on Ipad, but I still get alot of app support unavailable...its no biggie...but even at my age I like to know the why....

coyote

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:13 pm »
Well, said Scott.  Plenty of reasons to have a smart phone today.

I don't work anymore, but still find plenty of need for a cell phone, yet when I was working I bought one of the first cell phones once they became smaller than a sixe 12 shoe!  I traveled a lot for work, and since every call was basically long distance back then, and I was always too far from a pay phone, I got one.  Believe me, it helped me make money, since I could get a hold of my customers from anywhere.  In fact, I was one of the first in my company of over 100 reps to have a phone, have a computer, and use commercial email from MCI Mail; all to make myself more productive than my colleagues and competitors.

If any other Luddite-types want to disparage having a cell phone, please don't bother.

Interesting ‘conversational’ approach there Mike. You disparage those who don’t have cellphones (“shooting self in foot”) then demand folks do not disparage those who do have cellphones?

Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

If you tell me I’m shooting myself in the foot by not having one, you get to hear all the reasons - based on observation of all the cellphone knuckleheads out on the road, out in society - why cellphones are not my cup o’ tea.   8)

Don’t get me wrong. I love the technology. It’s waaay cool that you have a still camera, a video camera, an ability to run hordes of useful apps (you can use a cellphone as a level, as a stud-finder for construction, as a distance measurement, as a remote control, etc etc etc), AND a mobile phone - all wrapped up in one little device that goes in your pocket. It’s awesome.

But like beepers before them, I just dislike the way society has opted to use them. For all the reasons I stated above.
And personally, I lose nothing whatsoever by being ‘unreachable’ from time to time.... and I gain a peace of mind that the folks who are relentlessly tied to the phone don’t have.

AlanH

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:42:43 pm »
It’s Mike’s long winded way of explaining how he came to be “Employee of the Month”, every month. Doubtless the plaque still hangs in his downstairs bathroom. Still, a fascinating insight into Mike’s digital lifestyle, with no doubt more to come.