Echo & Alexa User Discussions and Support Forums

When a person is not breathing, permanent brain damage begins after 4 minutes and death in 6 minutes after that. Can you count on help arriving before that time? Learning proper CPR techniques is easy and you can learn it in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.

Google Home "Screen" Device Covers the Lens When You Don't Need it

New Google Homes with a Screen offer a physical shutter for covering the lens when you donít need to use it (and of course You Tube accessibility)
Frankly I still don't understand the need/want for an AI with a screen.  That's what computers, smartphones and tablets are for.  Hubby will be glad a new Google Home device is coming out and I don't want it ;)

https://lifehacker.com/the-first-google-home-with-a-screen-already-offers-more-1821910986

Re: Google Home "Screen" Device Covers the Lens When You Don't Need it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:39:56 pm »
Agree; it sounds like an Amazon show to me.  If one has a tablet, no need for these devices.  One can take a tablet anywhere, but not these AI screens.  I would take a Dot or mini when traveling, but rather wish Alexa app could be used like a Dot (or Coocle Assistant). 

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:27 pm »
Yes, it's Google's answer to the Show.  I could set my Samsung tablet up anywhere and as long as I don't let the screen go to sleep, I can use it exactly like a GH.  And if away from home, it would do all my home automation like a GH.  After DH swore he'd never buy me a wifi thermostat, he did :)  Honeywell 9320.  He thought I'd want a Nest but I want all  that information on the screen without having to dial for it.  Plus, I can change the background color to match the month, time of year, holiday or even my outfit  ;D   8)  ::)  ;)

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
there are plenty of advantages of having an ai with a screen if you think about it.  though you can use a tablet or other devices, you would have to look for them most of the time when you need them.