Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Weird question

Nicole

Weird question
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:37 am »
So, we're new to the world of Echo and still much enjoying the novelty of it. The other day we asked "Computer, how are you?" to which it replied "I'm doing great. Did you know cats sometimes talk to me when there's nobody else around? So far I've learned one word: Meow."

On the surface, it sounds like another random story it comes up with, but upon checking the history on the Alexa app, there's been a LOT of meowing going on... when we're not at home. Is it actually hearing meows (we have many cats) and responding without the wake word?? That's a little scary. The other possibility is that our bird has started to say "computer." She does practice new words when she thinks we're not home or thinks we're sleeping, but that would have been an extremely short period of time for her to learn the word since we only just got the device.

Snakeyes

Re: Weird question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:44:51 am »
The response you're getting to your question is built into Alexa/computer  as a standard response (for the moment). It is their idea of humor.
Quite separately, even if Alexa recognizes your parrot use of the word computer, it is highly unlikely that it will respond to any of its subsequent squawks. You have one heck of a Parrot

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:49:41 am »
The response you're getting to your question is built into Alexa/computer  as a standard response (for the moment). It is their idea of humor.
Quite separately, even if Alexa recognizes your parrot use of the word computer, it is highly unlikely that it will respond to any of its subsequent squawks. You have one heck of a Parrot

Thanks! I figured it must be a standard response, but was surprised to see how many "meows" were in my alexa history.

I have an Eclectus and she is quite a talker, too darn smart for her own good. She does say "meow" "what are you doing" "how are you" "where'd you go" "don't eat that" "I love you" and so many other things we can't believe she picked up. She even scolds our cats or rabbit by name when they're misbehaving. One of the most impressive things she does is substitute words of her own volition. She picked up "what the f*** you doing?" but she will sometimes (usually when I bring her to work) substitute the word and ask "what the poop you doing?" She's crazy smart.

Snakeyes

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
Clearly your parrot has a higher IQ than my kids.