Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Key or Reserved Words for Echo Plus Alexa. Also, how to name devices?

Jibsman

I just read in another forum: "... Amazon support told me that "start" is a Music command not a connected home command. "Stop" is also a reserved word, used with things like timers and alarms as well as music."

I searched for a list of reserved words or key words and got nothing useful.

IS there a list of reserved words?

Is there a recommended naming convention for devices? We are having massive problems with our lights.
"Dees Light" in the bedroom. She rarely understands it.
"Johns Light": Same. This morning I said "Alexa...(beep)... Turn on Johns Light". She turned it on. I said "Alexa...(beep)... turn off Johns Light". "I don't know "Johns Light" was the response.

It's a bit better with two syllable words:
"Bedroom Lights" almost always works. it's a Group of all bedroom lights.
"Dresser Light" also almost always works.

We have also tried "Alexa...(beep)... John's Light Off" instead of "Alexa...(beep)... Turn off John's Light". Sometimes works, sometimes not.

After three failed tries to turn on/off lights in our bedroom last night my wife got so upset that I told her I'd take everything back to Best Buy if she wants me to. She is almost there. I don't think Alexa is ready for Prime Time. Sooo many problems, and I have yet to find an email address for Alexa Support. Forums is the only option I have found so far. Companies that hide their support suck.

Re: Key or Reserved Words for Echo Plus Alexa. Also, how to name devices?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:39 pm »
as far as I know there is no list of reserve words. as far as rest of this post, you already asked in another thread.  please do not post the question more than once. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:55 pm »
You kind of answered your own question. Single syllable words can be misunderstood often.

John can be easily misunderstood for Don, Ron, etc.  Dees can sound a lot like tease, these, bees, jeeze, etc.

The fewer other words that sound alike the better Alexa will understand correctly.

Jibsman

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
Thanks for the feedback jwvl.

I did find this: https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/amazon-echo-the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/ which isn't "reserved" words but has some neat stuff to try.

cdnirene

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:39:30 pm »
I suggest sticking to common dictionary words when naming your lights. My smart plug lights are named: bedroom light, chair light, study light. Names for my other smart plugs are kitchen, humidifier. Alexa has no problem identifying each plug.

I like using routines with my plugs as my commands can be very brief.  “Alexa, evening” turns on my chair (living room) light. “Alexa, bedtime” will turn off my living room light, turn on my bedside lamp and turn on my bedroom humidifier. “Alexa, goodnight” will turn off my bedside lamp and Alexa will say goodnight.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:46:55 pm by cdnirene »

Snakeyes

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:25:54 am »
Sometimes adding just a simple word or letter can provide greater clarity to Alexa. For example changing "John" to "John K" where K could be John's other initial will make Alexa extremely accurate. I use this technique anytime Alexa has issues of recognition.

Offline kevb

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
You may not wish to do this, but if you got, say, a Dot in addition to your Echo, you could put Dee's lights in a group with the Dot. Then Dee would just have to say "Turn off the lights" and all lights in her group would go off. Just give it a different wake word from the Echo. You could do a similar thing with "John", or just try a group in each others names to see if that helps.