Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo with Hue bulbs

hvail

Amazon Echo with Hue bulbs
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:56 am »
I have an Amazon Echo working with Hue bulbs.  Recently Alexa tells me that I have a duplicate light.  Every time I say "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light" she comes back and says I have more than one kitchen light.  My Hue setup is fine and works well and my Apple Home Kit works well.  Do I have to totally reset Alexa and if so, how do I do that?

Re: Amazon Echo with Hue bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:49:13 am »
I have an Amazon Echo working with Hue bulbs.  Recently Alexa tells me that I have a duplicate light.  Every time I say "Alexa, turn on the kitchen light" she comes back and says I have more than one kitchen light.  My Hue setup is fine and works well and my Apple Home Kit works well.  Do I have to totally reset Alexa and if so, how do I do that?

I expereinced this last weekend as well. What I found is that in a recent HUE or Alexa update, there was a lot of scenes inserted into the mix. I had to go in and manually rid my system of all the new scenes. These included "Dim in ---- Room"", and "Bright in ---- Room" etc... anything that mentions the room in another way will give you "there is more than one ----, which one would you like?" or something like that. After I killed all the unwanted scenes, everything is fine. This occurred (I think) after I updated and re-linked my Hue account to my Echos... Not sure because I had a few things update that Friday, and Saturday morning everything was all wonky. I cleared everything out (I thought) but still had to go back and do more surgery the next day. But that's what you're gonna find. I think the last of it I cleared from the Alexa app using my phone... That's where I recommend you start. But first make sure all apps related to your lights are updated or you'll be doing it again in an hour or so.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

zigzag03

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:05:59 pm »
This looks like a good place for this question, which is not the same as the op's, but on the subject of hue and echo.

I enabled the single Hue bulb that came with my echo in the package. Named it and alexa turns it on and off and dims it, etc. Since then I've gotten a hue starter kit with a hub and 4 bulbs. The hub could see the new bulbs and the original one as well, but can not control or communicate with the original. I removed it from echo smarthome, and still the hub sees it but won't control it. I then put echo back on the case, and alexa can control the hub, AND it found and can control the original bulb again, but if, for instance, I ask for all lights on or off, the original is not controlled by alexa or the hub. Individually by name alexa can control the original.

Long story for short question, how to reset or reboot that original lightbulb so that the hub, which acknowledges its presence, can control it? I think once that happens then alexa will be able to include it in the "all lights" command. I wonder if it's a case of powering the bulb down or removing it from the socket for a period of time, which I have not done but will try tonite.

Grateful for any insight, zz03

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »
I'm not sure if you should be using two hubs. Your Echo Plus has a hub built in. Then you added the Philips Hue hub. You should use one or the other, not both. I am guessing that if you use two hubs, one is separate from the other.

Snakeyes

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:05 am »
While I'm not familiar with the inner workings all of the Amazon hub built into Alexa, you might have to "exclude"  the bulb from your hub rather than just remove. Once it's excluded your Phillips hub should regain control. Someone who has used the Amazon hub should confirm this