Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Need Audio Expert Advice

aphraxad

Need Audio Expert Advice
« on: January 01, 2018, 02:45:34 pm »
Just purchased two dots and I'm trying to Frankenstein two rooms together.  The first room is easy, it has a JBL boombox which can be connected to that room's dot by either 3.5mm jack or bluetooth.  But the second room has digital only active studio monitors.  They are currently hooked up to my TV's optical audio out, with my comptuer and video games going into the TV.  What I want is to be able to play music via voice command in both rooms in a way that won't require me to change the studio monitor input cable when I want to watch a movie or play video games.  Ideas?

mike27oct

Re: Need Audio Expert Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »
Maybe all you need is a stereo audio switch box for the system.

Jeff29

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »
I can think of a few options but just don't have enough detail about your TV inputs/outputs and if it's connected to an AV receiver (and those inputs/outputs--which may be how you are connecting your pc and video games).

Feed the 2nd Dot into the TV and done (same way as for your pc and video games).

Or if you have the aforementioned AV receiver plug into that.

You will also want to look at how you can set up groups for music:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202108910

Important Note:  With regards to using groups Amazon has determined Amazon devices should automagically disconnect from Bluetooth devices when playing in a group for customer convenience. :^)  BT is very, very broken on Amazon devices.

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:05 am »
>>>   BT is very, very broken on Amazon devices.

Well, not for me.  I never have BT take over and hijack a device if I don't want it to -- ever since I learned to tell every Amazon BT device to "disconnect Bluetooth" when I am finished using it.