Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to stream personal mp3 files to Echo Dot?

paul anderegg

How to stream personal mp3 files to Echo Dot?
« on: December 31, 2017, 02:09:54 am »
I purchased my mother an Amazon Echo Dot for Christmas, along with Amazon Prime service.  I also ripped all of her old Argentine music CD's, but have run into an issue when trying to UPLOAD these to the Amazon Music cloud to allow her to play them over her Echo Dot.  The online instructions on Amazon.com help and support are inaccurate, telling me to click things such as the "upload button on the right panel", which simply do not exist.  Clicking the cloud selector in Amazon Music app also doesn't do anything, and the instructions for Amazon Music on web are also not correct. 

Can anyone specify how to get my mom's mp3's onto her Amazon Music account?  She would not wish to purchase several hundred dollars in songs just to use a $30 device for things she already owns...Amazon tech support told her to just buy them all online...not much help there.

Paul

Re: How to stream personal mp3 files to Echo Dot?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:47:49 am »
unfortunately it cannot be done anymore.  it was recently stopped

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-music-no-longer-allows-customers-to-upload-their-own-songs/

WBChunx

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:50 am »
See link, they are looking to retire the service for new subscriptions.  If you are on the paid service and you continue to renew you should be fine;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

Not sure why you are having the issue, are you running the latest version of the local software?

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:27 am »
See link, they are looking to retire the service for new subscriptions.  If you are on the paid service and you continue to renew you should be fine;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

Not sure why you are having the issue, are you running the latest version of the local software?

paid service is only good for a year.  then no more. 

StevenR

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 05:07:23 am »
Quote from: WBChunx
paid service is only good for a year.  then no more.
[/quote

That's not true, it will work as long as your subscription is set to renew. You will only have an issue if the subscription expires without being renewed. To quote from that page announcing the retirement:

After upgrading, your Amazon Music storage subscription automatically renews on the last day of your annual billing cycle, if auto-renew is set to “On.”
and
If your current storage plan expires without being renewed, you won’t have the option to re-start your subscription.

StevenR

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 05:25:06 am »
It says on that page in the ("Paid 250,000 Song Storage Plan" section):

While you remain a paid member, you retain the ability to upload music and renew your subscription.

I cannot find anything there about uploads being disabled for paid accounts after 1 year. Where did you see this?

paul anderegg

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:48 am »
Well that just blows, glad I only paid $30 for the Dot...maybe look into the Google Hockeypuck thing to see if that will work.  The novelty of making the Dot talk back wore off after one day for my 79 year old mother, she was excited that it would play her music for her.

So, my Windows 7 PC with a fresh Music app has no upload button.  I installed a fresh Music app on her Windows 10 PC, and the upload button exists, but says discontinued.  I opened my several months old Music app on my Macbook, and the UPLOAD button is available, and working, but I now have a silly blue bar across the app telling me there is a new version of the Amazon Music App available and to upgrade.  Um....how about i upgrade after I finish uploading my mothers music collection!

Paul

alexjccim

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 06:49:28 pm »
I just found this application today.  It installs a small Media Server on your computer and links to Alexa.  I have it connected to my iTunes library.  So far so good.  It has a 7 day free trial  and then it wants $10 a year for a 5 family shared access.  If I like it after a week, i will pay for it.  I hope this works for you - https://www.mymediaalexa.com/

dragon123

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:17:27 am »
If you are a bit tech savvy you can set up your own plex server (free), that'll play back mp3s on alexa.