Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Santa brought me a Show - first impression

Margauxnh

Santa brought me a Show - first impression
« on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:15 am »
I received the Show as a Christmas gift. I already had an Echo Dot and recently bought the Sonos One. I used the Dot to listen to a Flash Briefing at bedtime, and to run my bedroom lamp off a small WeMo plug (and my lamp became my bedroom fan during the summer).  I bought the Sonos to have a nice speaker in my living room (and love it).
The Show was easy to set up, the Dot moved into the kitchen, and now can play "Music Everywhere". The screen is small, but on my bedside table, I was able find Doctor Who episodes and watch a bit right before bedtime. I also found some yoga videos on Amazon Prime which I shall find useful.

Why doesn't the Show have 5 stars? Not enough video skills. Here's a wish list:
I would like to enable the skill for say, CNN or MSNBC (or even better, Jake Tapper or Rachel Maddow), have it show me a group of recent clips, and I can say "Show me Clip # 3", to watch like video podcasts. The CNN headlines available for Flash Briefing were pretty useless.
I'm surprised Amazon hasn't enabled a good selection of themes and background slide-shows, or encouraged third-parties to develop the same. This time of year, I'd love a Tropical Island slide-show :)
There are excellent sources for music video besides Youtube. VuHaus and NPR Music have wonderful selections. What about an NPR Tiny Desk skill?
If I stop watching a Prime Video, it would be nice to come back the next night and say "Alexa, resume Doctor Who" and pick up where I left off.

Based on the other Amazon Echo products, I expect the Show to be far more useful a year from now.

asianrocker

Re: Santa brought me a Show - first impression
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:48:42 am »
Santa bought me a color bulb now I treat myself with color show every night. LOL it is related to the post, no?

Re: Santa brought me a Show - first impression
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:41 pm »
What about an NPR Tiny Desk skill?

Just about the only thing I'd like from NPR... there could be a few other things, but this is one of the most enjoyable things on NPR, at all, to me.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!