Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Politeness re: responding

Laurel

Politeness re: responding
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:41:21 pm »
This is the only group/forum that I find that members will ask a question and then will be given a response, and then the person asking the question never thanks the person who answered.  I think that is why so many questions asked do not get a response. i.e. why bother?  We don't know if the person every tried the suggestion or appreciated the assistance.  Time to start a New Year with courtesy.

Re: Politeness re: responding
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 03:51:57 pm »
That type of behaviour is not solely seen here.
It is commonly seen on tech boards. Another reason so many posts go unanswered is most questions have been asked already here (several times) and members are tired of answering the same questions over and over.
A user with a issue 99% of the time asks the question prior to searching and if they bother to do so they never return. :(

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:40:11 pm »
I don't believe thanks is necessary.   You said this is the only forum where thanks is not given.  I totally disagree.  I have been a member/moderator in many tech forums.  It is like that all over.  In fact, some forums do not allow it because it could fill up email accounts when getting email notifications.   

I have one main rule when helping.  if I ask a question for more information, clarification or give suggestions that are challenge or dont get replies, I will no longer help. 

as far as questions being posed over and over again.  yes it does get tiring but you must remember they are from individuals who are trying to solve an issue by joining a strange forum while frustrated, upset, and lost.  they are are not going to spend time trying to find the rules, do a search and other things those of us who has been using forums for years already know.  besides, over the years, I have found most forum searches are worthless and a waste of time.  one other thing, if you are going to ask for help, it is best to ask first since it does take time to get answers. while they are waiting, who said they quit searching.  by the time they finished searching maybe an answer will be ready.   why spend time searching then ask when you can ask then search.

as far as why a lot of questions go unanswered, nobody lives here, there are only a couple here that helps regularly so questions get missed.  it is also to the point where alexa is changing so fast that what was good answer before are not good answers anymore.  I doubt there are any experts here.  those who help know what they know through their own experiences and a little search now and then to help.

lately some of the questions seemed to be a bit too technical for most - and this includes me.  skills and ifttt are constantly changing, new commands are constantly being added, new technology from 3rd parties that work with alexa are coming on the market so it is difficult to give a definite yes or no on most things anymore.  I ran across a question today where a week ago it could be done but not anymore.   then there are all the different countries where the features are different. 

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:04 pm »
Agree for most part as I have made similar comments only to be chastised for my attitude.  People, (whether in a forum or anywhere in life) must try to do a little homework first.  Before getting a gadget do a little research, read some of forum before buying gadget.  (I read my first tech forum as a lurker, and never even posted for a year after getting my device) and did not post until I had something to contribute.

I don't need a thanks unless I was helping the same person repeatedly and tough problem was actually solved by me.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »
All of the above, Renegade. New forums are confusing and Search is often frustratingly unproductive so you plunge in with your best shot at a decent question without even knowing your way round the terminology. And I can say with direct experience, one reason people don't say thanks is because they don't know it's been answered and they don't know how to find their own post in the massive list when they try. Let's be gentle if we know and silent if we don't.

Laurel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
I will stick with my impressions. They are my feelings and not gospel folks.

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:12:45 pm »
I will stick with my impressions. They are my feelings and not gospel folks.

LOL. Agree with your feelings. None of my suggestions ever get a thanks. Honestly, if I was paid every time I answer questions here... that's my dream job. I love technology and knowing about it and fixing it and if I get paid for that. WOW. I'm the happiest woman alive.

If you want to pay or hire me don't EVER hesitate to contact me. LOL.

malliekm

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:37:53 pm »
A show of gratitude is necessary imo.  It's just the right thing to do.  It's good manners/proper etiquette.  It's probably the way your momma raised ya!  It encourages others to want to help when their good deeds are noticed.  So I totally agree with you Laurel.  But...you must not visit many online forums because this behavior can be found in most, if not all, online forums.  I've been on forums ranging from tech, to cars, to medical and photography and more.  Some are better (kinder) than others and each forum has it's own personality.  The Google Home Reddit forum I'm on is, well, it can be quite rude and vulgar :(  They're very helpful but make a mistake or say something they perceive as weak and they're like a pack of wolves :o

Laurel

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:47:26 am »
A show of gratitude is necessary imo.  It's just the right thing to do.  It's good manners/proper etiquette.  It's probably the way your momma raised ya!  It encourages others to want to help when their good deeds are noticed.  So I totally agree with you Laurel.  But...you must not visit many online forums because this behavior can be found in most, if not all, online forums.  I've been on forums ranging from tech, to cars, to medical and photography and more.  Some are better (kinder) than others and each forum has it's own personality.  The Google Home Reddit forum I'm on is, well, it can be quite rude and vulgar :(  They're very helpful but make a mistake or say something they perceive as weak and they're like a pack of wolves :o
I am on a dog forum and a horse forum, and that is it lol.  I read a car forum and a Samsung forum. No surprise but the dog and horse forums are very polite and fun with old fashioned values. No cussing and belittling of anyone. I think acknowledging a person's efforts to help is a must. Shows bad character imo if people are not polite.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 09:58:20 am »
I get more thanks from the FB crowd.

Generally speaking, I have learned a lot by reading and lurking and when I can, I help out. In our Days of Instant Gratification, Patience is what is missing. If the folks who do not thank other, find a quicker answer elsewhere, they move their whole mind away from those they have requested help from with slow responses or none, to those who have offered up possible cures. The faster the answer the more likely a thanks. Simple.

I don't condone the activity, but I'm almost certain I have done the same thing once or twice and didn't go back and offer a thinks. Maybe even here! This is not out of meanness or anything malicious, it's how our society is grooming itself. I actually intend to give thanks to folks who help me, but I find I am much better at Paying things forward than I am finding the one who helped me to thank them.

So... as a rule, I have no issue with folks not offering up a "Thank you". Generally I would rather they offer others a little hand when they can help. To me, that is a better social activity and has more value in the long run.

Pay it forward folks... It works.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!