Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo won't reconnect to wifi after power cycle, need to rerun Setup every time

kdmeyer

Ran Setup on a brand new Echo, it worked fine.  The Echo connected to the home wifi, everybody had fun asking it questions, playing music, etc.  Then we unplugged the Echo to move it to a different place.  When we plugged it in and it powered up, it did not reconnect to the wifi.  We had to rerun the complete Setup process.  The Setup program showed our new Echo as a device, but we had to select the "update wifi" (something like that, sorry I don't have it in front of me) and go through the whole process again of pushing the Setup button, connecting the laptop to the Echo and telling the Echo which wifi network to use.  Again the Echo worked fine...until they power cycled it again.

Clearly this is not how it is supposed to work.  I've been googling all over and can't find any posts or notes with this particular problem.  The home wifi works great, other devices have no problems.  It's just that we can't seem to make the Echo remember the network.  There is no wifi password (yes, I know...it's not my network).

While I have plenty of experience with IT and networking, I've never set up an Echo before.  It's in my elderly aunt and uncle's house; they cannot handle running the Setup process and I don't want to have to go to their house to run Setup every time the power cycles.  And, it shouldn't be necessary.

I ran Setup on their Windows laptop via alexa.amazon.com.  Looked everywhere in the application for something I could right-click on or otherwise something that suggested "save settings."  There is an option to save wifi password to Amazon but it looks like that's for connecting multiple devices and shouldn't apply to this.

Thank you in advance for any advice.  I'm really hoping the fix will allow me to smack my forehead and say "duh!" :)

Kurt

UPDATE:  *sound of palm smacking forehead*  It works now.  I told my aunt to push the 'dot' button on top (don't hold it down for 5 seconds, just push it once); she did that and reported that it started working.  I swear I tried that yesterday.  But whatever.  Everybody is happy.  Thanks to those who responded for your thoughtful suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:29:25 pm by kdmeyer »

mike27oct

It sounds like wi-fi signal in location 2 is not as good as in location.1.

Take unit back to location 1, and if you have done setup correctly it should connect again.  You may have to do setup again. Then, leave unit there at least an hour so it can update itself.  If unit continues to work well in #1 but not in #2. you will need to not use #2 but find another location that works well.

zaphod

I set up a system at my sister's place back at thanksgiving. it worked great until yesterday. all of her echo units responded they weren't connected to wifi. i told her to unplug them and let them reboot. that didn't work. i ended up making a trip to her place and found that two of her neighbors must have gotten new routers for Christmas, on the same channel she was no less. even in her basement the neighbors wifi was running at around -45dbm :o. i had checked initially before assigning her a channel but things change such is life. once i found a new channel without congestion or overlap i changed it for her wifi. no issues since, granted it's only been a day but still so far so good. may or may not be related but never hurts to scan channels unless you have a lot of space between you and others. hope it all works out for you.