Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Get a refurbished 1st Generation Echo instead of the new 2nd Generation one

The 1st Generation Echos have much better quality speakers (IMHO). I recommend a refurbished 1st Generation one instead of the new 2nd Generation one.
-Paul.

iolinux333

wut

Amazon says the second gen is supposed to sound way better?

Can you describe how the sound is better first gen?

Yeah I know they do. The speakers are cheaper and sound less richer on the 2nd Gen. (IMHO, anyway).
-Paul.

Laurel

I agree 1st generation has a deeper more robust sound.

iolinux333

The top reviews on Amazon say a software update fixes the sound significantly. Are you definitely running updated software?

asianrocker

I don't know, the point of buying refurbs is to save money. So far, all I have seen is refurb prices are way more expensive than current reduced brand new amazon devices price.

I don't know, the point of buying refurbs is to save money. So far, all I have seen is refurb prices are way more expensive than current reduced brand new amazon devices price.

The other point is to get a better product for your money. I paid $10 more for a refurbished 1st Generation Echo than a 2nd Generation Echo would have cost me, and to me it's worth the extra $10 just to have the volume control knob at the top.
-Paul.

Drwoodr

I have a 1st gen and a 2nd gen, and while the volume control on the 1st gen is nice, I actually prefer the sound quality of the 2nd gen. Plus with the smaller form factor and various color options, it is less obtrusive.