Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Questions about echo calling etc

robr

Questions about echo calling etc
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:19:15 pm »
Things are starting to get a bit confusing here, I have 3 echo dots (as well as three sonos in the same rooms as the echos).  I just renamed everything as there were naming conflicts where sonos and echo devices had the same names.

My kids each have an echo in their bedroom and I have them working correctly with sonos
(alexa, play XXXX on ryan's sonos). 

Now I'm trying to figure out calling.  I'm reading about having to have someone in my contacts list.  But what contacts list?  My son is going to want to call his friends (he has his own iphone and contacts) and same with my daughter.  I haven't found anything that really explains how to set this up with multiple phones and multiple contact lists.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Laurel

Re: Questions about echo calling etc
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:31:38 am »
I think it will have to be one contact list on your phone used by all.  Read this:
Add and Edit Your Contacts to the Alexa App

Sync your contacts to the Alexa app to communicate with friends and family using Alexa calling and messaging.

To add or edit contacts for Alexa-to-Alexa calling and messaging, update your phone's local address book and then open the Alexa app. Contacts from your address book who also use Alexa Calling and Messaging automatically appear in your "Contacts" list in the Alexa app, with the same names from your address book.

If you have multiple members within your household, your Alexa contacts are shared across all devices registered to that account. However, in the Alexa app you can only start conversations with your Alexa contacts.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 04:22:30 am »
If you don't want Amazon to have access to your entire contact list, you can always just say the number you want to call. E.g. Alexa, call 818-555-1234.

Unfortunately for now, it's all or nothing. Either you share the entire contact list or none at all. Amazon should really change that.

robr

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 02:02:28 pm »
Thanks, I don't think these responses exact answer my question but I get the idea.

I would need to have one contact list on one phone that has all of my son's and my daughter's contacts in one place is I believe what people are saying.  I don't care about privacy or oversharing, it's just not going to be realistic to have both my kids have all their contacts in one directory so we will just skip using the calling feature.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 02:53:46 pm »
you can still tell alexa to dial specific phone numbers without using your contact list.  for example, "alexa, dial 111-111-1111"

unfortunately you cannot do what you want since the contact list is based on the phone number you setup calling with.   you should also consider having a contact list with contacts from all family members is no different than having a phone book.