Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Plus not discovering Philips Hue -TS Said Don't Use Plus for 3 Hrs!

ljrshopper

Has anyone else had this told to them by Amazon Tech Support?  The Tech couldn't help me with Echo Plus discovering Philips Hue lightbulbs (which they advertise as plug and play). He said to mute my Echo Plus for 3 hours for a software upgrade and don't us it during that time. What?! This does not seem right to me.

Offline jwlv

Re: Echo Plus not discovering Philips Hue -TS Said Don't Use Plus for 3 Hrs!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:37:26 pm »
That is the correct procedure to "force" an update.
The Echo only updates its firmware when it determines that it is not in use. If you mute it for about 3 hours, that should be sufficient for Echo to determine that it is not in use and check for an update.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:16:06 pm »
You know you can do that while you were sleeping right? You react like you can not live with out it for  3 hours.

I don't know but manually typing the serial should work though. Don't know why they didn't suggest that.

JohnBaer

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
Solved this way.

We just had this issue as well - the Hue light that came with the Plus was not discoverable.  We tried the reset with serial number and different lamps. Then I found the post in this forum about resetting the Echo Plus.  That worked!

Caution!!!! Reset will likely discard you’re current Echo Plus settings and you’ll have to start over. Ours was new so we didn’t care.

Reset by turning off the Plus and logging out of the app.  On the bottom of the Plus there is a tiny hole.  Use a toothpick or bent paper clip, insert into the hole depressing the button for about 12 seconds.  The Plus will beep to signal reset is complete.  Restart the Echo Plus, log into the app and setup the Echo Plus.  Now discover devices and your Hue light will hopefully be discovered!!  Hope this helps.