Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Connect

DisAlexa

Amazon Connect
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:33:04 pm »
Installed the Connect I just received. Worked right out of the box. I had to relocate my Echo so that other party could hear better. A few quirky things but no big problems so far. I'd like to hear from others what their experience with this new device is.

Nosugrof

Re: Amazon Connect
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:52:49 pm »
You must have posted this after I started writing a similar new topic. I also had trouble with the volume but perhaps a bit more pronounced than what I encountered. Even speaking quite loud with the Echo device in my hand just inches form my mouth the volume was still pretty low on the other end. I'm hopeful I just picked up a faulty device. It would be very nice if they would add a volume option similar to what's available for reminders and alerts. I'd also be very pleased to see the ability to manage contacts in the Alexa app or even better if you could do it in the web interface.

DisAlexa

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:20:01 pm »
Sorry I didn't note that you had started this topic.
I relocated our Echo and placed it in a more central location. If we face it when talking we have had no problem with having our speech heard. I just ordered a battery base for the unit which will allow me to set it on the coffee table even closer to us. Made a number of calls so far and other parties reported no problems.
I found it necessary to add many new contacts to my iPhone so that this will work properly. It only takes info from the Echo app in your mobile device apparently not from any on a landline phone that has speed-dial or a contact list.

Nosugrof

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:54 pm »
I think we were creating these at the same time. Yours wasn't there when I started writing but as soon as I saved I saw yours. If anything you were a little ahead of me - don't think it really hurts anything. The echo plus I'm using worked fine making calls through my smart phone but as soon as I switched to using the Connect with the land line everyone I called said it sounded like I was talking from two rooms away. Probably a silly question but there's an option in the Connect Settings for Outbound Calls to default to using the mobile connection and only using the land line for numbers not supported by Alexa calling such as emergency calls. Did you set the option to always use the land line?

DisAlexa

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »
The new Connect box has 4 lights. Obviously, the one on the left shows that power is on. The second indicates a Wi-Fi connection. But it can change color and it can blink. What do those changes versus a solid white indicate?
The third light has an up and down arrow. What does that indicate? Does it ever change color or blink? If so, what does that mean? The light on the right, when lit, probably indicates that a connection is made to your phone line. Does this light ever change color or blink? Haven't found these answers anywhere and it would be useful to have a light chart for this device. Something like this:
1. Power light:
    Solid white - Power on
    Off - No power connected
2. Wi-Fi light:
    Solid white - W-Fi connection made
    Blinking white - ?
    Off - No Wi-Fi connection
3. Up-down light:
    Solid white - ?
    Blinking - ?
    Color - ?
    Off - ?
4. Phone light:
    Solid white - Phone line connection made
    Blinking - ?
    Off - No phone connection
Can anyone help fill out this chart?
                        Just got this response from Amazon regarding the lights on the Connect

Please be informed that there are 4 LED light indicators present on the Echo Connect device which are used for communicating its status.

The detailed information for all the 4 indicators are given below:

1st indicator - A solid light indicates the device is getting power.

2nd indicator - A solid light indicates that Wi-Fi is connected. An orange blinking light indicates that the device is in setup mode.

3rd indicator - A solid light indicates that the device is connected to the internet. If the LED is off, your Echo Connect isn't connected to the internet. Check other Wi-Fi devices to verify your connection and try restarting your Wi-Fi router. If the issue persists, contact your service provider for support.

4th indicator - A solid light indicates that the phone line is connected. This LED light also blinks at a slow speed when Echo Connect is on a call. If the LED is off, your phone service was not detected. Verify the phone cable is connected to Echo Connect or try another RJ11 phone cable.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:07:22 pm by DisAlexa »

DisAlexa

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 07:05:41 pm »
I think we were creating these at the same time. Yours wasn't there when I started writing but as soon as I saved I saw yours. If anything you were a little ahead of me - don't think it really hurts anything. The echo plus I'm using worked fine making calls through my smart phone but as soon as I switched to using the Connect with the land line everyone I called said it sounded like I was talking from two rooms away. Probably a silly question but there's an option in the Connect Settings for Outbound Calls to default to using the mobile connection and only using the land line for numbers not supported by Alexa calling such as emergency calls. Did you set the option to always use the land line?

My response....
I never took notice of the Outbound Call setting but I went back to it just now. I set it to the Echo Connect choice and that seems to be working for me. If it causes a problem, I'll report back.