Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

issue registering in the UK echo dot purchased as a gift from the US

oloap

Hello,

I'm not able to complete registration of an echo dot that I received in the UK as a gift from a friend that bought it in the US. I go through the setup process until providing the wifi password, then some wait and I get error code 12:2:15:10:1

Is there any restriction using echo dot in a country different from where the device has been purchased from?

Any suggestion how to proceed from there?

Offline jwlv

Re: issue registering in the UK echo dot purchased as a gift from the US
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
Any time you get a cryptic error code, it's time to called Amazon Support.

Usually these error codes is an activation issue, such as using an Echo device that's not made for the country intended (e.g. US device in UK). A quick phone call to Amazon usually solves the issue.

oloap

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:18:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I called support already, they have a nice callback option, click a button and support rings you!

However, they need my friend to call them to sort out the issue and unlock the device for me to register... those kind of devices should really be plug and play, you should not require few calls to a support line in order to get started  :-\

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:57:52 pm »
It is plug and play if your friend was using it. Most Amazon devices are preregistered to the person that ordered it. Amazon does this for all their devices including the Echo, Fire TV, and Fire Tablet.

It is likely that the Echo device is preregistered to your friend and he will need to deregister it before you can use it on your Amazon account. I don't think he needs to call Amazon. He can go to https://alexa.amazon.com then click Settings, the name of the Echo device then scroll down and find the Deregister button.  The name of the Echo device is probably something like "username's 3rd Echo"